[comp.os.vms] MAIL FORWARDING WITH WIN/TCP

system@WESTPOINT.ARPA ("SYSTEM MANAGER") (12/10/87)

We are using Wollongong's WIN/TCP software with the shared deuna option on our
VAX 8300. Some of our users would like to have their VMS and MILNET mail
forwarded over our local ethernet to their personal computers via TCP/IP. Is it
possible for an individual user to set this for himself using the SET FORWARD
command in VMS MAIL, specifying MAILER!user@hostname for the forwarding address?
I have not been able to get this to work, but seem to remember reading
somewhere that it could be done. We could use the file SMTP.CONF to do this,
but we would prefer to leave this task up to the user since the addresses may
be subject to change fairly often. Any help with this would be greatly
appreciated.
                                          Barbara Mellon
                                          Systems Manager
                                          D/Geography & Computer Science
                                          U.S. Military Academy

                                          SYSTEM@WESTPOINT.ARPA
                                          MELLON@WESTPOINT.ARPA

------

kvc@nrcvax.UUCP (Kevin Carosso) (12/14/87)

In article <8712110139.AA29034@ucbvax.Berkeley.EDU> "SYSTEM MANAGER" <system@westpoint.arpa> writes:
>We are using Wollongong's WIN/TCP software with the shared deuna option on our
>VAX 8300. Some of our users would like to have their VMS and MILNET mail
>forwarded over our local ethernet to their personal computers via TCP/IP. Is it
>possible for an individual user to set this for himself using the SET FORWARD
>command in VMS MAIL, specifying MAILER!user@hostname for the forwarding address?
>I have not been able to get this to work, but seem to remember reading
>somewhere that it could be done. We could use the file SMTP.CONF to do this,
>but we would prefer to leave this task up to the user since the addresses may
>be subject to change fairly often. Any help with this would be greatly
>appreciated.
>                                          Barbara Mellon

VMS MAIL will not let you set up a forwarding address like that.  The
"!" is a comment character and is pulled out of forwarding addresses when
they are stored.  The real problem is that the Wollongong mailer kludge
is a fairly stupid way of doing business anyway.  I would suggest you
install the PMDF mail system which uses the VMS MAIL foreign protocol
mechanism to hook the MAIL utility up to many different delivery
systems, including Wollongong TCP/IP.  PMDF is available for the cost
of distribution (currently $50) from:

	Ned Freed
	PMDF Project
	Harvey Mudd College
	Claremont, CA 91711
	(714) 621-8006
	ned@ymir.bitnet

jimp@cognos.uucp (Jim Patterson) (12/28/87)

In article <1333@nrcvax.UUCP> kvc@minnie.UUCP (Kevin Carosso) writes:
>... mechanism to hook the MAIL utility up to many different delivery
>systems, including Wollongong TCP/IP.  PMDF is available for the cost
>of distribution (currently $50) ...

If you're planning to order PMDF for use with Wollongong, BE SURE
to indicate that you need the Wollongong support and be prepared
to provide assurances that you are a licenced user of WIN/VX.
Otherwise, your tape won't have the Wollongong support. This has
happened to us; I suppose that we'll have to send down another $50
(though maybe not; I haven't actually followed up yet).

This apparently has something to do with licencing restrictions in
using the Wollongong library. Damned inconvenient.

--
Jim Patterson                              Cognos Incorporated
UUCP:decvax!utzoo!dciem!nrcaer!cognos!jimp P.O. BOX 9707