[comp.os.vms] Store & forward for VMS mail

MANAGER@SKIDMORE.BITNET (Leo Geoffrion) (12/21/87)

Does anyone have recommendations for an inexpensive store & forward extension
for VMS Mail?  Since we have a homogeneous VAX/micros environment, we are
not really interested in the elaborate packages that do conversion to EMAIL
PROFS, or other foreign protocols.

As the number of small VAXen proliferate, the probability that a user may
have his/her unit offline increases.  I'd like a simple program that can
simply buffer mail while that node is off line and send it through when
it returns to service.

The SET FORWARD command of VMS MAIL fails because that user is then unable
to receive mail if it arrives while the forwarding address is offline.

Any suggestions -- or perhaps even a PD program or two??

Leo D. Geoffrion                  BITNET:  MANAGER@SKIDMORE.BITNET
Associate Director for             NYNEX:  (518) 584-5000 Ext. 2628
Academic Computing
Skidmore College
Saratoga Springs, NY  12866

WARNER..NAGY@FNALB.BITNET (Frank.J.Nagy@jade.Berkeley.EDU, (12/23/87)

Leo Geoffrion <MANAGER%SKIDMORE.BITNET@CUNYVM.CUNY.EDU> writes:

> Does anyone have recommendations for an inexpensive store & forward extension
> for VMS Mail?  Since we have a homogeneous VAX/micros environment, we are
> not really interested in the elaborate packages that do conversion to EMAIL
> PROFS, or other foreign protocols.

Digital has a product called the Message Router which is available in
several flavors.  One package is explicitly designed to provide a
store&forward interface for VMS MAIL; other packages provide programmer
interfaces, etc.  By hearsay, I understand that the VMS Mail Message
Router package is easy to install and setup.  I don't know anything
about its performance, reliability, etc. as we do not have this package
at Fermilab (although people complain about lack of s&f in VMS Mail).
I just happen to be aware of the product since I've been trying to get
the complainers to look into the package (to no avail).

= Frank J. Nagy   "VAX Guru & Wizard"
= Fermilab Research Division EED/Controls
= HEPNET: WARNER::NAGY (43198::NAGY) or FNAL::NAGY (43009::NAGY)
= BitNet: NAGY@FNAL
= USnail: Fermilab POB 500 MS/220 Batavia, IL 60510

XRBEO@VPFVM.BITNET (Bruce O'Neel) (12/24/87)

Re: Store and forward for VMS mail.

My only attempt at store and forward was to always use the editor to create
my note and then I wrote a .com file to do the mail.  It went something
like this

$ @sendmail <node::user> <file> <subject, in ">

This just copied the file to a unique name in a directory I'd set up for this
purpose and put a few line header on it holding the name and subject.  I also
had a batch job sitting in the batch queue which every hour started up,
went through this directory and tried to send the mail to the different
people out there, sent me mail back if the message wasn't going to make it

(say I got the wrong user id), deleted the scratch files if the mail made
it, and then resubmitted itself to run in another hour.

This wasn't elegant, and didn't always work (say the system crashed and I
didn't resubmit the batch job) but it did make vax mail on a large decnet
network less painfull.  And no, I don't have the .com file but it wasn't
large or difficult to write (I didn't try to be fancy).

bruce <xrbeo@vpfvm> on bitnet.

mem@zinn.UUCP (Mark E. Mallett) (01/01/88)

In article <8712250028.AA23885@jade.berkeley.edu>, WARNER..NAGY@FNALB.BITNET (Frank.J.Nagy@jade.Berkeley.EDU, writes:
> Leo Geoffrion <MANAGER%SKIDMORE.BITNET@CUNYVM.CUNY.EDU> writes:
>
> > Does anyone have recommendations for an inexpensive store & forward extension
> > for VMS Mail?  Since we have a homogeneous VAX/micros environment, we are
> > not really interested in the elaborate packages that do conversion to EMAIL
> > PROFS, or other foreign protocols.

I didn't see the original of this--

One possibility, if you already have a lot of VAXes and happen to have
one or more that runs Ultrix, is to send all the mail through the ultrix
systems which DO have store-and-forward mail.

Some years ago I wrote a program that ran as a VMS DECnet mail object and
handled SMTP mail traffic between VMS and TOPS20 machines.  The program
queued up incoming mail; a background job was run to dequeue it and deliver
it by talking to the appropriate mail object (SMTP if the destination was a
DEC20, VMSMail if the destination was a VAX; common destination sites were
of course optimized, failures were requeued and returned to sender after
some parameterized length of time).  Mail was sent the other way by using
the old (new then) trick of sending to a dedicated account and putting the
real destination in a comment, viz:

	to: MAILBOX!user@DEC20

(I also provided other ways of specifying information in a pseudo-header
within the VMS mail body).  A background process was responsible for
taking mail out of the MAILBOX mailbox and putting it in the above-mentioned
mail queue.

A fallout of this is that the process magically provided VMS-to-VMS
store-and-forward capability.  Unfortunately the MAILBOX!user addressing
scheme made the REPLY command not work, but this was acceptable.

This was a fairly quick hack but it worked very well.  For simply doing VMS
store and forward, I would consider writing a new VMS mail object that
would handle the VMS mail negotiations through a store-and-forward queue,
and either attempt local delivery itself or talk to the "real" VMS mail
program assigned to another DECnet object number and let IT deliver the mail.
--
Mark E. Mallett		Home phone: 603-424-8129
uucp: mem@zinn.UUCP  (...decvax!elrond!zinn!mem   or   ...sii!zinn!mem)