[comp.os.vms] problem with LINK

dahls%vax.elab.unit.uninett@TOR.NTA.NO (J|rn Yngve Dahl-Stamnes) (12/11/87)

Hello !

I got a small problem when trying to link a program. I got a command procedure
which compile and link several programs. The problem does only occure on a
particular program and when I run the procedure in batch. But it does not
occure everytime I run the procedure in batch. This is the message from
the log-file:

%LINK-W-OPENOUT, error opening DISK2:<DAHLS.TIPP>TIPP.EXE; as output
-RMS-F-FUL, device full (insufficient space for allocation)

In the manual "System Messages and Recovery Procedures" it says:
"Take corrective action based on the associated message.", which must be
the RMS messages. The RMS messages says:

User Action: Delete or purge as many files as possible to provide usable
space on the volume, ....

But there were over 47.000 blocks free disk space, and I got over 15.000
blocks left of my own disk quota.
If I try to do the linking again, without purging and deleteing,
everything work fine. The program take *only* 170 blocks on the disk.

Is there somebody out there who knows WHY ?????????

  +-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-+
  !  J|rn Yngve Dahl-Stamnes    The University of Trondheim                 !
  !  System Manager             The Norwegian Institute of Technology       !
  !                             Division of Physical Electronics            !
  !                             N 7034 Trondheim, Norway                    !
  !                                                                         !
  !  Mailbox: dahls%vax.elab.unit.uninett@tor.nta.no                        !
  !                                                                         !
  +-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-+

WIZARD@RITA.ACS.WASHINGTON.EDU (The Bandit "." "." "." "", on" "RITA) (12/25/87)

  J|rn Yngve Dahl-Stamnes    <dahls%vax.elab.unit.uninett@tor.nta.no> writes:

> Hello !
>
> I got a small problem when trying to link a program. I got a command procedur
> which compile and link several programs. The problem does only occure on a
> particular program and when I run the procedure in batch. But it does not
> occure everytime I run the procedure in batch. This is the message from
> the log-file:
>
> %LINK-W-OPENOUT, error opening DISK2:<DAHLS.TIPP>TIPP.EXE; as output
> -RMS-F-FUL, device full (insufficient space for allocation)
>
> In the manual "System Messages and Recovery Procedures" it says:
> "Take corrective action based on the associated message.", which must be
> the RMS messages. The RMS messages says:
>
> User Action: Delete or purge as many files as possible to provide usable
> space on the volume, ....
>
> But there were over 47.000 blocks free disk space, and I got over 15.000
> blocks left of my own disk quota.
> If I try to do the linking again, without purging and deleteing,
> everything work fine. The program take *only* 170 blocks on the disk.
>
> Is there somebody out there who knows WHY ?????????

I thought for sure that someone would propose some sort of an answer to
this, but I haven't seen one yet.  I doubt my mailer can send directly to
him, so I chose to reply to the net.

The device full error can mean one of two things -- at least in my experience.
The first is the obvious one which you looked for, namely that there are no
free blocks on the disk.  Since you have 47,000 blocks free on your disk,
this is not likely to be the case.

The second error that can cause this message to show up is when the disks
INDEXF.SYS file gets full.  When you initialize a disk, you tell it to
allocate room enough for "n" file headers.  If all the INDEXF.SYS entries
are used up (by file headers or extent headers), you can get the "device
full" error.

I was under the impression that this restriction was supposed to have been
removed some time ago, so that VMS would extend the INDEXF.SYS file, but
apparently this isn't the cae.

To correct the problem, if this is the problem, you need to dump and reload
your disk.  Be sure to initialize the disk yourself and allocate more space
for file headers with the INITIALIZE /HEADERS=n command.  Then, on the
restore operation (with BACKUP), but sure to specify /NOINITIALIZE, or else
all will have been for naught.

Hope this helps.

Derek Haining
Academic Computing Services
University of Washington
Seattle, Washington
(206) 543-5852

DEREK@UWARITA.BITNET
        -or-
DEREK@RITA.ACS.WASHINGTON.EDUA

mithomas@bsu-cs.UUCP (Michael Thomas Niehaus) (01/05/88)

It was mentioned that you could get a device full error because of too many
directory entries.  This is easily solved by moving files into subdirectories.
This would be much simpler than reoganizing the whole disk.

Michael Niehaus
UUCP: <Backbones>!{uunet,pur-ee,iuvax}!bsu-cs!mithomas