[comp.os.vms] Foreign device names

jeh@crash.cts.com (Jamie Hanrahan) (01/07/88)

In article <880105190618.06p@CitHex.Caltech.Edu> carl@CITHEX.CALTECH.EDU (Carl J Lydick) writes:
>Well, Kevin Carosso renamed his pseudo-terminal driver from PTDRIVER to
>TPDRIVER to avoid a conflict with TMSCP devices.  Now DEC is using the name
>TPDRIVER as the terminal class driver for use with PSI.  Anybody got any
>good ideas for a new name?  Kevin, are you out there anywhere?

DEC says that foreign devices should be called Zxcu.  One might think that
that gives only 26 possible foreign device names, but remember that with
V4 and beyond there is no need for the device type to be just two characters,
so ZPTA0 and ZPTDRIVER are fine.  The limit, in fact, is fifteen characters
for th generic name, so ZPSEUDOTERMINALA0 would work.  As for the driver
name, it is limited to 11 characters.  It is not constrained to be
<generic_device_name>DRIVER; in fact it doesn't have to be related to
the device name at all, nor does the driver name (that is, the one that
appears in the driver prologue table, and which you must provide via the
/DRIVER= qualifier to the CONNECT command if it *isn't*
<generic_device_name>DRIVER) have to be related in any way to the file
that the driver image lives in.  I'm sure that with a namespace this large
SOMEthing can be thought of.