[comp.os.vms] BACKUP under VMS 4.6 needs PHY_IO !?!?!

XBR1Y028@DDATHD21.BITNET (01/07/88)

We observed the following problem under VMS 4.6:

 using BACKUP for saving files on tape (for example) by an non-privileged user,
 the user gets this obscure error message :

  %BACKUP-F-LABELERR, error in tape label processing on MU:[]FOOFOO.BCK;
  -SYSTEM-F-BADPARAM, bad parameter value.

We then asked the TSC center.
This is a well known bug under VMS 4.6 they said.

They said BACKUP currently needs the privilege PHY_IO !

There are currently two ways to handle this problem
(there is no patch available - they said) :

 a) all users who want to use BACKUP should get this privilege (PHY_IO) ???!!

 b) install BACKUP with this privilege (PHY_IO)

We decided to use solution b) !
Unfortunately then BACKUP also refuses to work (even when all privileges are
turned on, like the following command for our daily backup operations):

 $ BACKUP /IGNOR=INTERL /REWIND /FAST /RECORD /DENS=6250-
          /JOU=THD$OPER1:[BACKUP]BACKUP14.BJL.1 -
          USER02:[*...] /SINCE=BACKUP MUA0:6JANBAK.BCK
 %DCL-W-ACTIMAGE, error activating image ENCRYPSHR
 -CLI-E-IMGNAME, image file DUA0:[SYS0.][SYSLIB]ENCRYPSHR.EXE;3
 -SYSTEM-F-PRIVINSTALL, shareable images must be installed to run privileged
                                                                      image

Image  SYS$LIBRARY:ENCRYPSHR.EXE  must also be installed with that privilege!

--> I don't like either solution!

Did anyone out there in netland have the same problems (or are you always using
the system account for BACKUPs) ?

Did you come up with a better/different solution?

Thanks in advance,
Walter

Walter Reichenbaecher
Technical University Darmstadt
University Computing Center
Applications / User Support
Darmstadt, West Germany

Bitnet/EARN:  XBR1Y028 at DDATHD21
ARPAnet:      XBR1Y028%DDATHD21.BITNET@CUNYVM.CUNY.EDU

carl@CITHEX.CALTECH.EDU (Carl J Lydick) (01/07/88)

 > We observed the following problem under VMS 4.6:
 >
 >  using BACKUP for saving files on tape (for example) by an non-privileged user,
 >  the user gets this obscure error message :
 >
 >   %BACKUP-F-LABELERR, error in tape label processing on MU:[]FOOFOO.BCK;
 >   -SYSTEM-F-BADPARAM, bad parameter value.
 >
 > We then asked the TSC center.
 > This is a well known bug under VMS 4.6 they said.
 >
 > They said BACKUP currently needs the privilege PHY_IO !

That's odd.  We've been running VMS 4.6 for over a month,  don't  have  BACKUP
INSTALLed at all, and haven't seen this problem.  The account from which we do
image backups of our disks every week has  only  TMPMBX,  NETMBX,  and  BYPASS
privs  (the last of these is so that we can backup ALL the files on the disk).
We have two STC tri-density tape drives hooked  up  to  a  SYSTEMS  INDUSTRIES
controller  in  such  a way that they look like TU45's, but are on the UNIBUS,
and use a driver written by SI.

 > There are currently two ways to handle this problem
 > (there is no patch available - they said) :
 >
 >  a) all users who want to use BACKUP should get this privilege (PHY_IO) ???!!
 >
 >  b) install BACKUP with this privilege (PHY_IO)
 >
 > We decided to use solution b) !
 > Unfortunately then BACKUP also refuses to work (even when all privileges are
 > turned on, like the following command for our daily backup operations):
 >
 >  $ BACKUP /IGNOR=INTERL /REWIND /FAST /RECORD /DENS=6250-
 >           /JOU=THD$OPER1:[BACKUP]BACKUP14.BJL.1 -
 >           USER02:[*...] /SINCE=BACKUP MUA0:6JANBAK.BCK
 >  %DCL-W-ACTIMAGE, error activating image ENCRYPSHR
 >  -CLI-E-IMGNAME, image file DUA0:[SYS0.][SYSLIB]ENCRYPSHR.EXE;3
 >  -SYSTEM-F-PRIVINSTALL, shareable images must be installed to run privileged
 >                                                                       image
 >
 > Image  SYS$LIBRARY:ENCRYPSHR.EXE  must also be installed with that privilege!
 >

 > --> I don't like either solution!
 >
 > Did anyone out there in netland have the same problems (or are you always using
 > the system account for BACKUPs) ?
 >
 > Did you come up with a better/different solution?

I could be wrong, but I don't think you have  to  INSTALL  ENCRYPSHR.EXE  with
privileges; merely INSTALLing it /OPEN/HEADER/SHAR should suffice (I base this
claim on the fact that MAIL, which is installed with SYSPRV, can call TPU, and
TPUSHR.EXE  is  installed  with  no  privs).  Another thing you could do is to
create a captive account that has PHYIO, is in a group by  itself,  runs  only
BACKUP, and checks to make sure that the privilege isn't abused.  The drawback
to this is that in order to do the backups, a user has to protect his files so
that  this  account  can read them, which means that anybody using the account
can copy his files while he's doing  his  backup.   You  can  circumvent  this
difficulty  by  setting the UAF MAXJOBS field to 1 for this account, so a user
can:
	1)  Log in to the backup account
	2)  Protect his files from a job running on his own account so he can
	    back them up.
	3)  Do the backup
	4)  Reset the protections
	5)  Log out of the backup account
Since his is the only job currently running on that account, his files should
be safe, unless the system crashes sometime during the procedure.

LEICHTER@VENUS.YCC.YALE.EDU ("Jerry Leichter ", LEICHTER-JERRY@CS.YALE.EDU) (01/08/88)

	... [U]sing BACKUP for saving files on tape (for example) by an
	non-privileged user, the user gets this obscure error message :

	%BACKUP-F-LABELERR, error in tape label processing on MU:[]FOOFOO.BCK;
	-SYSTEM-F-BADPARAM, bad parameter value.

	We then asked the TSC center.  This is a well known bug under VMS 4.6
	they said.... BACKUP currently needs the privilege PHY_IO !

I don't remember the details of this exactly, but I think the problem is
really in one of the magtape drivers, not in BACKUP as such.

	...We decided to [install BACKUP with PHYS_IO, but it fails with the
	message]:
	 %DCL-W-ACTIMAGE, error activating image ENCRYPSHR
	 -CLI-E-IMGNAME, image file DUA0:[SYS0.][SYSLIB]ENCRYPSHR.EXE;3
	 -SYSTEM-F-PRIVINSTALL, shareable images must be installed to
	 	run privileged image

	Image  SYS$LIBRARY:ENCRYPSHR.EXE  must also be installed with that
	privilege!

No; it need merely be INSTALL'ed.  No privileges are required, and in fact
installing a shareable image WITH privileges is meaningless - the privileges
will never be used for anything.  INSTALL'ing SYS$LIBRARY:ENCRYPSHR.EXE is
quite safe.

Since the problem only comes up with backups directly to tape, installing
BACKUP with PHYS_IO may be overkill.  Giving a user PHYS_IO is dangerous,
since with that privilege it is possible to do I/O's to the "raw disk" and
scribble over any file you like.  Giving BACKUP PHYS_IO is PROBABLY safe,
since BACKUP isn't about to do random physical I/O's to the disk, no matter
what you ask it to do.  Possibly, it will be able to override some tape
protections; it would take a real close look to be sure.

I suspect there's really no perfect solution to the problems this bug causes;
you'll have to evaluate your situation yourself.  A lot depends on how often
non-privileged users need to do backups to tapes.  At many installations, this
is rather rare - operators do regular backups, either from SYSTEM (or, prefer-
ably) from special, controlled accounts that can be given PHYS_IO with only a
very small added security exposure.  Most users make limited use of tapes,
and when they use them they don't write backups, but use some sort of appli-
cation that deals with the tape directly.  Other installations may have users
who write backup tapes all the time - to do distributions, for example.  These
obviously will need a different approach - perhaps each such user can be given
a second, captive account, which has PHYS_IO but is set up so that it can only
be used to run BACKUP.
							-- Jerry

tihor@acf4.UUCP (Stephen Tihor) (01/08/88)

Its TMSCP devices only according to the earlier message on the subject.

darin@laic.UUCP (Darin Johnson) (01/09/88)

In article <880106185356.00b@CitHex.Caltech.Edu>, carl@CITHEX.CALTECH.EDU (Carl J Lydick) writes:

>  > They said BACKUP currently needs the privilege PHY_IO !
>
> That's odd.  We've been running VMS 4.6 for over a month,  don't  have  BACKUP
> INSTALLed at all, and haven't seen this problem.

According to DEC (we have this problem also), it is only a problem with
the TU81 (or TU81+) tape drives.

A DEC person said that the bug was never noticed
since the people writing/testing the code always
logged in with all priviliges enabled :-o
--
Darin Johnson (..sun!sunncal!leadsv!laic!darin)
	All aboard the DOOMED express!