[comp.os.vms] Problems with GIGI

PRITCHAR@CUA.BITNET (Hugh Pritchard [Catholic U of America]) (01/12/88)

> Date:         Thu, 7 Jan 88 15:54:00 EST
> From:         "John W. Manly" <JWMANLY@AMHERST>

> that our GIGI terminals do not work anymore.  In particular, EDT seems to
> get completely confused about its scrolling regions if one is advancing or

We here at CUA also came across this problem when upgrading our 8650s to 4.6.

1.  The problem is with the terminal characteristic DEC_CRT.  GIGIs do not
have all the DEC-private escape sequences (scrolling region, etc.) that are
implied by DEC_CRT.  Previous to 4.6, NODEC_CRT was associated with device
type VK100.  Now, SET TERMINAL/DEVICE=VK100 (or SET TERMINAL/INQUIRE) does
turn on DEC_CRT.

2.  We called the Customer Support Center.  They did indeed have a report of
a problem with EDT on GIGIs under 4.6.  Their suggested fix was an EDTINI
file with the EDT command SET TERMINAL NOSCROLL.  This was unacceptable to us
(not all user terminals are GIGIs; not all programs run on GIGIs are EDT).

3.  We have put a fix into our SYLOGIN.COM:

   $ IF F$GETDVI("TT","DEVTYPE") .EQ. 2 THEN SET TERMINAL/NODEC_CRT

which means "If my terminal is a GIGI, turn off the DEC_CRT characteristic."

4.  We convinced the CSC to make a suggestion to the VMS development group
that they not muck with things that work, and need no further development.
Specifically, why did the VMS developers feel they had to change the VK100
characteristics from NODEC_CRT (which worked just fine) to DEC_CRT (which
breaks at least EDT)?  The CSC murmured something about support for 7-bit
terminals being phased out eventually; but that doesn't answer our question.

/Hugh Pritchard,        Systems Programming             PRITCHARD@CUA.BITNET

The Catholic University of America Computer Center      (202) 635-5373
Washington, DC  20064  USA

Disclaimer:  My views aren't necessarily those of the Pope.