[comp.os.vms] Problem with Lundy T5680 and SET TERMINAL/INQUIRE

IMHW400@INDYVAX.BITNET (01/12/88)

One of our users has a Lundy T5680 graphic terminal.  He complains that
when he logs in the terminal locks up and must be powered off to be revived.
We suspect that SET TERMINAL/INQUIRE is causing the problem.  Ordinarily
one would sigh and tell the user to take that command out of his LOGIN.COM.
Trouble is, at our site the command is in SYLOGIN.COM and is expected by
several hundred users.  Does anybody out in netland know another solution
than removing the SET from SYLOGIN and making everybody put it in LOGIN?
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Mark H. Wood    IMHW400@INDYVAX.BITNET   (317)274-0749 III U   U PPPP  U   U III
Indiana University - Purdue University at Indianapolis  I  U   U P   P U   U  I
799 West Michigan Street, ET 1023                       I  U   U PPPP  U   U  I
Indianapolis, IN  46202 USA                             I  U   U P     U   U  I
[@disclaimer@]                                         III  UUU  P      UUU  III

jeh@crash.cts.com (Jamie Hanrahan) (01/14/88)

In article <8801130556.AA09826@ucbvax.Berkeley.EDU> IMHW400@INDYVAX.BITNET writes:
>One of our users has a Lundy T5680 graphic terminal.  He complains that
>when he logs in the terminal locks up and must be powered off to be revived.
>We suspect that SET TERMINAL/INQUIRE is causing the problem.  Ordinarily
>one would sigh and tell the user to take that command out of his LOGIN.COM.
>Trouble is, at our site the command is in SYLOGIN.COM and is expected by
>several hundred users.  Does anybody out in netland know another solution
>than removing the SET from SYLOGIN and making everybody put it in LOGIN?

Sigh... this is one reason why we put such things in something called
SYS_UTIL:USERLOGIN.COM, which most user's LOGIN.COMs invoke.  But if a
user doesn't like something in USERLOGIN they're free to grab a private
copy and edit it to taste.

If you can't do something like that, here are some things to consider:

1.  If the terminal is hardwired to a particular mux port, have SYLOGIN
look at the terminal device name (f$getjpi with the TERMINAL itemcode
will do it, so will f$trnlnm on SYS$OUTPUT)
before doing the SET TERMINAL/INQUIRE .
Note that if the terminal is on a LAT port you can write a little program
using $QIOs that will return the LAT port id, and you could make this
info available to the rest of SYLOGIN by having the program do a LIB$SET_
SYMBOL or some such.

2.  If the terminal is hardwired to a particular user :-), have SYLOGIN
look at f$getjpi(USERNAME) before doing the set term/inquire.  Naturally
the user  might log in at other terminals, in which case s/he'll have to do a
SET TERM/INQUIRE "manually" if s/he wants to, but that's better than
EVERYONE having to do it manually.

3.  If the Lundy has its own "who am I" sequence, you could run a
program that would emit the Lundy's "who am I", wait a second or two for
an answer, and set a DCL symbol via LIB$SET_SYMBOL to tell the rest of
SYLOGIN whether to do a standard SET TERM/INQUIRE.  Of course, this
assumes that the Lundy's "who am I" won't mess up other terminals... :-)

Naturally your SYLOGIN shouldn't do any of this stuff unless f$mode()
shows that it's being run interactively.

I'll bet there are some other workarounds.  Anyone else have any ideas?

rrk@byuvax.bitnet (01/15/88)

How about $ IF F$ELEMENT(0," ",F$GETJPI("","USERNAME")) .NES. "COMPLAINER"-
THEN SET TERM/INQUIRE

in the sylogin.com?