[comp.os.vms] Microvax window hanging

JON@UCLASTRO.BITNET (01/14/88)

To All,

        We have a VAXstation II/GPX that is having problems.  When running
the windows, they will hang for no apparent reason.  The cursor stops
flashing and, though the pointer can move, windows cannot be created,
deleted, etc.  Remote logins are still operable except that control-y
and control-t become disabled.  The only known recovery is reboot.
All system parameters are generously allocated.  The hanging is independent
of the number of windows active (even if only a 220 window is up).
Sometimes we will make it a month before hanging; sometimes 3-4 times a day.
This has occured from VMS 4.4/VWS 3.0 through to VMS 4.6/VWS 3.2, though
4.6/3.2 seems to produce more frequent hangings.  Has anyone else seen
this behavior before?  If so, what are some possible solutions, etc.?

                                        Thanks!!
                                        Jonathan Eisenhamer
                                        UCLA Astronomy
                                        jon@uclastro.bitnet
                                        bonnie::jon (span 5828)

hydrovax@nmtsun.nmt.edu (M. Warner Losh) (01/16/88)

In article <8801140515.AA11245@ucbvax.Berkeley.EDU>, JON@UCLASTRO.BITNET writes:
> [Jonathan Eisenhamer writes about his GPX hanging.  He is able to move
>  pointer but nothing else]
Johnathan,
   it may be that you have the hold screen on.  These are the EXACT symtoms
that I get when I forget that I was using HOLD-SCREEN.   The pointer moves,
you can get menus, but you can't blow stuff away (Ie delete it).  You can
tell if hold screen is on by looking over the HELP key on your
LK-200 keyboard.  If the leftmost light is lit, then hold screen is on,
and you need to remove it.  Simply hit the hold screen button which is
the extreme left key on the upper row of function keys.

Because of this problem, DEC added a timeout to the hold-screen bit. I think
it is 15 minutes, but I could be wrong.
--
bitnet:	lush@nmt.csnet			M. Warner Losh
csnet:	warner%hydrovax@nmtsun

art@ccelsn.ARPA (Art McClinton x6356) (01/19/88)

Check the UIS$DISPLAYMGR process (and the UIS$EMULATOR... processes)  If you
find them in LEF instead of HIB mode than you have hit the "known"  bug that
results from exceeding the pool allocated to the processes.  I have found that
VWS 3.2 seems to produce fewer hangups than VWS 3.1, but I still can get
some aborts.  Increasing UIS$QVS_POOL_SIZE seems to have helped the situation.

Art McClinton