[comp.os.vms] DECNET for the Amiga

JEREMYM@EPVAX.SUSSEX.AC.UK (01/19/88)

Peter G. Trei <OC.TREI@edu.columbia.cu20b> asks:

>     I and several friends at my worksite own Amigas, and would like
> to use them at the office. Our notion is to run async serial DECNET
> into them, allowing us to run several simultaneous terminal sessions
> on one screen (at about 10% of the cost of a VAXStation). Does anyone
> have Amiga software to do this?

In November, the following was posted to comp.sys.amiga.

| In article <1938@killer.UUCP> jdp@killer.UUCP (Jim Pritchett) writes:
| >
| >Hello, does anyone out there have any information on current (or RSN) product
| >to connect the A2000 to DECNET?  I have heard that Ameristar had an Ethernet
| >card for the A1000, but I haven't been able to find a valid phone number for
| >them.
| >

| My wife's company is in the process of porting the Mac product TSSnet to
| the Amiga.  This provides DECnet End-node support, along with virtual terminal
| VMS Mail, network file transfer and remote file access.  TSSnet on the Mac
| is being marketed by Alisa Systems.  It has not yet been determined how
| the Amiga product will be marketed - discussions are underway with
| Thursby Software Systems, the developers of TSSnet.  Also not clear
| is what the demand for an Amiga version will be - feel free to send
| me email if you have opinions on this.  The Amiga version will have
| asynch DDCMP support, and discussions have started with Ameristar
| to get information to allow support for their Ethernet board.
|
| Ameristar's phone number is (516) 698-0834 , by the way.
|
| Bob Tolly  rtolly@CCA.CCA.COM.UUCP

Also Ronald G. Minnich <rminnich@edu.udel.louie>  posted the binaries
for amigatcp to comp.sys.amiga which uses SLIP (serial line ip) on the
amiga serial port to talk to unix SLIP.

Haven't used any of this stuff, but am planning to investigate further.
Jeremy Maris
Experimental Psychology, | JANET       : jeremym@uk.ac.sussex.epvax
University of Sussex,    | EAN         : jeremym%sussex.epvax @ EAN-RELAY.AC.UK
Falmer,                  | EARN/BITNET : jeremym@epvax.sussex.ac.uk
Brighton,                | ARPA        : jeremym@epvax.sussex.ac.uk  *OR*
E.Sussex BN1 9QY         | ARPA        : jeremym%sussex.epvax@ukacrl.bitnet
UK                       | usenet      :  ...mcvax!ukc!epvax!jeremym
Tel: +44 (0)273 678060