[comp.os.vms] VMSBACKUP for Unix

ALW6944@TAMSIGMA.BITNET (A. Lee Wade) (01/20/88)

> From:         "Daniel R. Levy" <ihnp4!ttrdc!levy@ucbvax.Berkeley.EDU>
> Subject:      Wanted -- VMS BACKUP reader for UNIX systems
>
> Ho, hackers!
>
> I'm interested in finding a UNIX program which can read VMS BACKUP tapes
> (that is, the files archived therein).  I already have a copy of a UNIX
> program which can read Files-11 tapes, but this doesn't gain me anything
> with VMS BACKUP tapes except to be able to read in the whole BACKUP
> saveset file.  (It doesn't help me to extract the files from a BACKUP
> saveset.)  Also, it can't deal with multi-volume backups.
>
> Yes, yes, I know about the VMS TAR programs.  I'm not concerned about how to
> get data from VMS to UNIX systems.  What I am concerned about is mountains
> of old VMS backups, which may possibly need to have data retrieved from them
> even after we have kissed our VMS systems good-bye.
>
> Any ideas?  (I'm not picky as to the kind of hardware or version of UNIX
> system this would run on, as I am willing to modify the program as needed.)
> Thanks in advance....

Dan,

What you need is VMSBACKUP.  It runs on BSD Suns, VAXes, and presumably most
other Berkeley Unix systems.  It can be used for reading, but not writing, VMS
backup tapes.  But this doesn't sound like it will be a problem for you.

VMSBACKUP was distributed on the Unix-Sources mailing list and is archived at
"j.cc.purdue.edu" as file "/news/comp/sources/unix/v07i099.Z".  It is COMPRESSed
(not COMPACTed) so you may have to get compress/decompress from there as well.
Use anonymous ftp to retreive it, and the management of that machine would
appreciated it if you wait until evening hours to do so.  (If you can not ftp
it, contact me directly and I will send the the source, make, and man page
files.)

If you add the hooks for System V (not an unlikely prospect for one working for
AT&T) you might want to re-post it on Unix-Sources.

A. Lee Wade

                        A. Lee Wade    409 845-9641
      Engineering Computer Services    ALW6944@TAMSIGMA.BITNET
             Texas A & M University    UTSPAN::UTADNX::SIGMA::ALW6944 (SPAN)
  College Station, Texas 77843-3154    alw6944@cons.tamu.edu