[comp.os.vms] VMS news and uucp?

karl@ddsw1.UUCP (Karl Denninger) (12/16/87)

Hello everyone!

This may have been asked before, but I haven't seen it... we're interested
in getting a binary of news 2.11 for VMS (specifically for a MicroVax II)
and a means of transport over phone lines.

The News 2.11 must be in use somewhere; there are defines for it in the
source.  The main problem with source is that we will not have access to a
'C' compiler....

Has 'uupc' been ported by chance?

Please mail replies, I will summarize responses to the net.

Thanks in advance!
--

Karl Denninger				UUCP : ...ihnp4!ddsw1!karl
Macro Computer Solutions		Dial : +1 (312) 566-8911 (300-1200)

jbuck@epimass.EPI.COM (Joe Buck) (12/17/87)

In article <421@ddsw1.UUCP> karl@ddsw1.UUCP (Karl Denninger) writes:
>This may have been asked before, but I haven't seen it... we're interested
>in getting a binary of news 2.11 for VMS (specifically for a MicroVax II)
>and a means of transport over phone lines.

>The News 2.11 must be in use somewhere; there are defines for it in the
>source.  The main problem with source is that we will not have access to a
>'C' compiler....

I did the #ifdef VMS code in 2.11 news.  It doesn't run under plain
VMS; it requires Eunice, the Unix-on-top-of-VMS product from the
Wollongong Group (which comes with UUCP, by the way).  Strictly
speaking I should have written "#ifdef Eunice"...
.
.
.
--
- Joe Buck  {uunet,ucbvax,sun,decwrl,<smart-site>}!epimass.epi.com!jbuck
	    Old internet mailers: jbuck%epimass.epi.com@uunet.uu.net

jeh@crash.cts.com (Jamie Hanrahan) (12/17/87)

In article <421@ddsw1.UUCP> karl@ddsw1.UUCP (Karl Denninger) writes:
>This may have been asked before, but I haven't seen it... we're interested
>in getting a binary of news 2.11 for VMS (specifically for a MicroVax II)
>and a means of transport over phone lines.

The "VMSnet Working Group" within the VAX SIG of DECUS (I'm the chair of
the w.g.) is developing such a beast.  The dialup transport layer is
John Gilmore and Lol Grant's `gnuucp' (they have it working under VMS
with hardwired lines; some tweaks are necessary to support dialin/dialout).
A test version should be ready to send out by the end of January; it will
include a VMSmail interface, Geoff Huston [of ANU]'s NEWS for VMS, ported
versions of smail and pathalias, and appropriate hooks, clamps, and glue.
Watch this newsgroup for a full status report, to be posted within a week
or so.

GIH900@fac3.anu.OZ.AU (GEOFF HUSTON) (01/15/88)

In article <1740@epimass.EPI.COM>, jbuck@epimass.EPI.COM (Joe Buck) writes:
> In article <421@ddsw1.UUCP> karl@ddsw1.UUCP (Karl Denninger) writes:
>>This may have been asked before, but I haven't seen it... we're interested
>>in getting a binary of news 2.11 for VMS (specifically for a MicroVax II)
>>and a means of transport over phone lines.
>
>>The News 2.11 must be in use somewhere; there are defines for it in the
>>source.  The main problem with source is that we will not have access to a
>>'C' compiler....
>
> I did the #ifdef VMS code in 2.11 news.  It doesn't run under plain
> VMS; it requires Eunice, the Unix-on-top-of-VMS product from the
> Wollongong Group (which comes with UUCP, by the way).  Strictly
> speaking I should have written "#ifdef Eunice"...

I'm sorry for the delay in responding to this item for so long - Australia has
been having some problems with it's news feed ....

I have implemented a version of NEWS for VMS which is compatible with 2.11 news
- together with PMDF it addresses the situation that Karl has (i.e. straight
VMS with phone connection to a remote NEWS site). If you don't have VAX C,
simply re-link tghe object files and set up the logical names.

I have sent a copy of VMS NEWS to Glenn Everhart, and I believe it's on the US
FALL87 VAX SIG Tape. Otherwise you may obtain it from any other VMS site that
already has news - or (in the last resort) you may either pick up a copy of
NEWS over VAX PSI, or I will send you a tape.

In using PSI, you will be charged the traffic costs for collecting the files
(by your PSI carrier). There is some 340 blocks of compressed sources, and 340
blocks of compressed object files (not necessary if you have the VAX C
compiler). You will also need to obtain the PSI_COPY and decompression files
over PSI, which is a further 350 blocks (or so). Details of the PSI procedure
are appended below.

The other option is to request me to send you a tape. This will cost $100
(Australian dollars), and I will air mail you a tape of NEWS (The $100 covers
the cost of the tape, packaging and air mail postage). Please enclose a cheque
for the relevant amount ($100 in Australian Dollars please, made out to:

        Computer Services Centre, ANU

    and address the letter to:

        Geoff Huston
        Computer Services Centre
        Australian National University
        GPO Box 4, Canberra, ACT   2601
        AUSTRALIA

Geoff Huston    Computer Services Centre, Australian National University

ACSnet,CSNET:	gih900@fac.anu.oz     INTERNET: gih900%fac.anu.oz@uunet.uu.net
UUCP: {uunet,hplabs,ubc-vision,nttlab,mcvax,ukc}!munnari!fac.anu.oz!gih900
PSI_MAIL:  PSI%0505262440032::gih900

cmf@cisunx.UUCP (Carl M. Fongheiser) (01/20/88)

I thought I might as well throw my 2 cents in...

I've very nearly got "rn" running on VMS.  In fact, I do have it running,
but a number of things don't work quite right yet.  Oh, by the way, it
uses NNTP on top of CMU-TEK/TCP or DECnet.  I'll post an update when I
have something I can distribute.

					Carl Fongheiser
					University of Pittsburgh
					Computing & Information Systems