[comp.os.vms] Waiting on files ...

gkn@SDS.SDSC.EDU (Gerard K. Newman) (01/21/88)

	From:	 GRANT%LAUCOSC.BITNET@CUNYVM.CUNY.EDU
	Subj:	 Waiting on files ...
	Date:	 19-JAN-1988 09:07:14.71

	Some recent experiences have led me to consider implementing
	a new "feature" in my experimental/instructional operating system.
	The idea, in brief, is to be able to "wait on a file".  For example,
	a process could wait on a given directory: whenever that directory
	is written upon the process would be resumed and could deal with new
	files found there.

	Some recent dialogue concerning the VMS SET WATCH command (which, though
	related, is not quite what I have in mind) encouraged me to ask the
	corporate experience of this list to comment.

	1.  Has anyone heard of any operating system including this idea ?

Yes, DEC's TOPS-10 operating system has such a feature.  I believe that
TOPS-20 does also, but all of my TOPS-20 documentation is at home, and I
am at work...

I have often wished for such a feature on VMS.

I suspect, though I do not know for sure, that there is some way to simulate
this functionality if you know enough about the way RMS uses the lock manager
to coordinate its efforts.  However, this would require in-depth knowlege of
RMS internals.  I suspect that they change just often enough to make such
efforts impractical.

gkn
Internet: GKN@SDS.SDSC.EDU
Bitnet:   GKN@SDSC