*Position: 76 Deg. 52' 28.5" West, 38 Deg. 59' 59.8" North.
*From:     John J. McMahon, Systems Programmer, STX - ST Systems Corporation.
*Project:  COBE Science Data Room (CSDR), Code 401.1

X> From: MARKUS%LOYVAX.BITNET@CUNYVM.CUNY.EDU
X> Subject: RE: Phone
X> Hi,
X>
X>         We have phone here, but what is more commonly used is SEND and a
X> program called SAY.  I'm assuming SEND is implemented on most nodes and
X> could be used much as here (ie. for sending one liners but not through mail).
X> I'd be curious to see a comparison of system resource usage between phone
X> and SEND (or any other common one line message facility).
X>
X>                                                 mark plummer
X>                                             MARKUS@LOYVAX.BITNET
X>                                         loyola college (baltimore) acs

Just to clarify what Markus said about SEND:

SEND is a command which is implemented on VAX nodes in the BITNET world.  It
is part of a package called JNET which is sold by Joiner Associates.  For those
of you familiar with BITNET, it is equivalent to the TELL (or MSG) commands
on IBM machines running CMS.  For VAX machines that are interested in one-liner
messages, an equivalent command can be written using the $BRKTHRU System
Service (I believe that is what SAY does).

Regards,
^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v
John J. McMahon (Fast-Eddie)
Disclaimer: Views expressed in this letter are my own,
            and are not meant to represent the views of my employers.