[comp.os.vms] VAX/VMS Registrar service

jeh@crash.cts.com (Jamie Hanrahan) (01/23/88)

In article <8801220408.AA19214@ucbvax.Berkeley.EDU> LLACROIX@carleton.EDU (Les LaCroix) writes:
>Back in some recent VAX SIG Symposium tape, someone submitted a utility
>named LOCK, and claimed that they had registered the command with DEC.
>They further claimed that such registration would prevent name conflicts
>with other registered commands (including all DCL commands created by DEC).
>
>I have been unable to reach the author (whose name I forget just right now--
>sorry).  Has anyone out there heard of such a thing as registering DCL
>commands?  Do you know what department at DEC would be in charge of this
>kind of thing, and how to contact them?

I'm responding to the net rather than to the author because this OUGHT to
be a burning issue to everyone who writes software for the VAX -- everyone,
that is, who writes software that will be used in concert with anybody else's
third-party software.

I believe that what is being described here is the "VAX/VMS Registrar
Service".  This was described in an article in the Nov. 86 {\em Pageswapper}.
(If you don't have the issue handy, it's on the Fall 86 VAX SIG Symposium
tape - saveset VAX86C, file [VAX86C.PAGESWAPR]PAGSWP804.MEM .)

The article was written by DEC and claims that the service is also described
in the {\em Developer's Guide to VMSINSTAL}, but I'll be damned if I can find
any mention of it in my copy.  Anyway, this is a free (!) service whereby
third-party software developers (and this includes developers of both public-
domain and in-house-use only software) may register "facility names".  These
names may then be used as the prefixes (prefices?) for:

	o  Global symbols
	o  Entry points
	o  Rights database identifiers
	o  Data structure field names
	o  File names

The service also provides for the registry of logical name prefixes,
system-wide process names, system-wide mailbox names, and shareable
images.

Not mentioned in the article, but mentioned someplace else that I can't
find right now, is the ability to register facility numbers for customer-
specific message codes.  DEC recommends that you not do this unless you
really need it, as only 2,048 such numbers are available.  (The facility
number is a 12-bit field; one of the bits indicates that it's a customer-
defined facility.)

I don't recall seeing anything about DCL commands being subject to
registry, and offhand this seems unlikely to me.  But things may have
changed.

For more information, write to:

	VAX/VMS Registrar Service
	Digital Equipment Corporation
	110 Spitbrook Road
	Nashua, NH 03062-2698

(p.s. -- if anyone can find out where this is described in the orange
binders, or some reasonable facsimile thereof, please post the info to
the net.)