[comp.os.vms] Strange behavior of TU81+ under VMS V4.7

nagy%warner.hepnet@LBL.GOV (Frank J. Nagy, VAX Wizard & Guru) (01/27/88)

"James M. Wolford" <MW54STAF@MIAMIU> writes:
>    I have discovered some strange behavior on our newly installed TU81+.
> After mounting an ANSI-labeled volume, (i.e. MOUNT MUA0: TAPE) and
> asking for a listing of files on the volume (i.e. DIR MUA0:), the drive
> will scan the volume and display all files that it finds.  The strangeness
> is that it REWINDS the tape and scans it again, reporting all the files
> on the volume TWICE.  Has anyone else seen this problem?

I've seen this before with TU77s, TA78s when I was logged into the
system manager account on a VAXCluster.  The same tape and drive
behaved normally (single listing of files) from my personal account.
The difference between the two accounts is that the default device
for my personal account (at login) is a logical name pointing to a
single device but the system manager account (in a VAXCluster) has
a default device which includes a search list (SYS$MANAGER ==
SYS$SYSROOT:[SYSMGR] and SYS$SYSROOT is the search list in a cluster).
My guess was that DIRECTORY was getting itself confused because of
this.  It was strange to see, but only reproducible when the default
device was a search list.

= Frank J. Nagy   "VAX Guru & Wizard"
= Fermilab Research Division EED/Controls
= HEPNET: WARNER::NAGY (43198::NAGY) or FNAL::NAGY (43009::NAGY)
= BitNet: NAGY@FNAL
= USnail: Fermilab POB 500 MS/220 Batavia, IL 60510

-------