[comp.os.vms] VAX mail and ASYNC DECNET

arubin@spies.UUCP (Andy Rubin) (01/19/88)

Can one of you net.wizards please tell me whether or not it's possible
to send mail to a remote node, who's configured as a dial-up DYNAMIC
async DECNET node?

My company wants me to connect it's microVAX in New York to his mommie
in Geneve, Switzerland.  And of course, their too cheap to use a
X.25 packet switched network (ie, TYMNET).  So I figured I'd
use ASYNC DECNET.  The only problem is that since it's a dynamic
connection (link is made once a week), we can't seem to send mail
to the remote node when it's not there.

Another related problem I've been having is switching the line manually
from interactive to DECNET (set term TT:/protocol=DDCMP).  Since I'm
logging on to the bigVAX in Switzerland first, to receive my mail,
then trying to switch the line to DECNET while I'm still logged in.
I get "device already allocated to another process (Burp)"

Any ideas will be greatly appretiated, and rewarded with a bar of
Swiss chocolate.  Thanks in advance.

                               Andy Rubin (arubin@spies.UUCP)

                               American SIP
                               530 Sawmill river road
                               Elmsford, NY  10523

--
Spies in the Wire PUBLIC ACCESS UN*X  |  {allegra|ames|cmc12|inph4|gatech|
Mount Kisco, New York                 |        rutgers|mcnc|sdcsvax|uunet}
(914) 666-3997 300/1200 8N1           |                <arubin@spies.UUCP>

mf@savax.UUCP (Marc Fleischmann) (01/21/88)

In article <161@spies.UUCP> arubin@spies.UUCP (Andy Rubin) writes:
>use ASYNC DECNET.  The only problem is that since it's a dynamic
>connection (link is made once a week), we can't seem to send mail
>to the remote node when it's not there.

You may want to look at DEC's Message Router which provides store and
forward capability for VMSmail via the MRGATE interface.  You can send
mail to a remote user that is currently unavailable and let the Message
Router try to send it at a later time.  You can control how often the Message
Router attempts the remote connects and could sync it to the times when the
connects to Switzerland.

--
Marc Fleischmann
Sanders Associates, Inc. - Nashua N.H.  (603) 885-5050

LEICHTER@VENUS.YCC.YALE.EDU ("Jerry Leichter ", LEICHTER-JERRY@CS.YALE.EDU) (01/24/88)

	Can one of you net.wizards please tell me whether or not it's possible
	to send mail to a remote node, who's configured as a dial-up DYNAMIC
	async DECNET node?

Yes; an asych DECnet link is just like any other DECnet link.

	My company wants me to connect it's microVAX in New York to his mommie
	in Geneve, Switzerland.  And of course, their too cheap to use a X.25
	packet switched network (ie, TYMNET).  So I figured I'd use ASYNC
	DECNET.  The only problem is that since it's a dynamic connection
	(link is made once a week), we can't seem to send mail to the remote
	node when it's not there.

Of course; an asych DECnet link is just like any other DECnet link!  :-)

VMS MAIL does not queue messages; it sends them immediately.  Hence, it must
make a connection at the time you want to send the mail.  That the connection
happens to go over an asynch, dial-up line isn't of importance to MAIL; in
fact, it's not even VISIBLE to MAIL, which simply asks DECnet for a link.  If
you had an Ethernet link that you connected once a week, MAIL wouldn't work
over that any better when it was disconnected!

What you need is a mailer that maintains a set of queues.  Actually, most
mailers that do that aren't really tuned for a once-a-week link - they keep
retrying regularly - say, every hour.  They could easily miss the once-a-week
window when the link is up.  Really, you want a queuing mailer that has some
mechanism for describing such a link.  Rather than polling the link, it would
simply leave messages in the queues until TOLD that the link was open.

DEC sells a queuing mail product, the Message Router.  I don't know if it
supports the kind of link you are talking about here.

An alternative would be to get a copy of PMDF - discussed recently on this
list.  PMDF will hold mail jobs in queues for you.  Further, you could
probably put together a special-purpose "channel" to talk across your
dial-up link when told to do so.

	Another related problem I've been having is switching the line
	manually from interactive to DECNET (set term TT:/protocol=DDCMP).
	Since I'm logging on to the bigVAX in Switzerland first, to receive my
	mail, then trying to switch the line to DECNET while I'm still logged
	in.  I get "device already allocated to another process (Burp)"

See the Networking Manual, page 2-14 to 2-17, for a full description of how to
accomplish a dynamic switch to DDCMP.  Make sure you've got everything set up
as it tells you set it up.

	Any ideas will be greatly appretiated, and rewarded with a bar of
	Swiss chocolate.

This machine fully supports the ICTP (Internet Chocolate Transfer Protocol).
We run a SMTP-to-CTB (Chocolate Transfer Bus) agent, so you can use my mail
address to send my bar to.  I prefer bittersweet.

			  Thanks in advance.
							-- Jerry

-------

kvc@nrcvax.UUCP (Kevin Carosso) (01/26/88)

>In article <161@spies.UUCP> arubin@spies.UUCP (Andy Rubin) writes:
>>use ASYNC DECNET.  The only problem is that since it's a dynamic
>>connection (link is made once a week), we can't seem to send mail
>>to the remote node when it's not there.

You might want to check out the PMDF mail system for VMS.  It provides
store-and-forward message handling for the standard VMS mail utility.
You could set up PMDF to deliver the messages when the link is up.
They will be queued while the link is down.  PMDF also provides lots
of other network mail support.  PMDF is available for the cost of
distribution (currently $50) from:

	Ned Freed
	PMDF Project
	Harvey Mudd College
	Claremont, CA 91711
	(714) 621-8006
	NED@YMIR.BITNET

All sources are provided.  PMDF is currently in use at several hundred
sites, including many on this mailing list.

        /Kevin Carosso                     kvc@nrcvax.uucp
         Network Research Co.              kvc%nrcvax@trwind.trw.com
                                           kvc@engvax.scg.hac.com
                                           kvc@ymir.bitnet

wrsturm%Ins.MRC.AdhocNet.CA@UNCAEDU.BITNET (W R Sturm) (01/28/88)

> Can one of you net.wizards please tell me whether or not it's possible
> to send mail to a remote node, who's configured as a dial-up DYNAMIC
> async DECNET node?

> My company wants me to connect it's microVAX in New York to his mommie
> in Geneve, Switzerland.  And of course, their too cheap to use a
> X.25 packet switched network (ie, TYMNET).  So I figured I'd
> use ASYNC DECNET.  The only problem is that since it's a dynamic
> connection (link is made once a week), we can't seem to send mail
> to the remote node when it's not there.

        You will need some sort of layer there to catch the mail when
        the node is not there.  I have been using the Software Tools
        Mail System to do that at my site.  There is also PMDF that
        does essentially the same thing.  Both packages allow you
        to queue up messages for delivery.  If the node is not
        available at the time, it will try again later.  There is a
        maximum time after which the mail will be returned as old.

> Another related problem I've been having is switching the line manually
> from interactive to DECNET (set term TT:/protocol=DDCMP).  Since I'm
> logging on to the bigVAX in Switzerland first, to receive my mail,
> then trying to switch the line to DECNET while I'm still logged in.
> I get "device already allocated to another process (Burp)"

        If your process has any opcom stuff coming to it, it will
        not allow the switch to take place.  A REPLY/DISABLE usually
        will take care of it.  Also you cannot be running anything
        else, no subprocesses.  At that point you can issue the

                $Set Term/Protocol=DDCMP/Switch=DECNET

        Good luck.
WRSturm%Ins.MRC.AdhocNet.CA@UNCAEDU.BITNET
Warren R. Sturm
Mount Royal College
Information Systems, Computer Operations
4825 Richard Road S.W.
Calgary, Alberta  CANADA
T3E 6K6
(403) 240-6485