[comp.os.vms] Dual processor Vaxen

RAND@merrimack.EDU ("Rand P. Hall") (01/22/88)

Multiprocessor Vaxen users:

We are contemplating adding a VAX to our soon-to-be-but-not-
yet-clustered 785. This Vax would be used primarily for two functions:
Library cataloging, circulation, searching, etc... and for the
administrative (ie, financial, admissions, and that garbage) database.

The people selling the administrative product are proposing an 8350.
My questions are these:

For applications NOT written with ASYMMETRICAL processors in mind, is
there any advantage to going the multiprocessor route?

What are the implications of VMS V5's ability to do SYMMETRIC
multiprocessing given the above application?

Thanks in advance,

Rand P. Hall                         rand@merrimack.edu (csnet)
Director, Academic Computing         617.683.7111
Merrimack College
315 Turnpike Rd.                     "There is elegance in simplicity."
North Andover, Mass. 01845                      - Kimball S. Maddocks

kuo@skatter.UUCP (Dr. Peter Kuo) (02/01/88)

In article <8801240616.AA14115@ucbvax.Berkeley.EDU>, RAND@merrimack.EDU ("Rand P. Hall") writes:
> Multiprocessor Vaxen users:
>
> We are contemplating adding a VAX to our soon-to-be-but-not-
> yet-clustered 785. This Vax would be used primarily for two functions:
> Library cataloging, circulation, searching, etc... and for the
> administrative (ie, financial, admissions, and that garbage) database.
>
> [ ... deleted ...]

Sorry this is not an answer to your question, but: why does one want to allow
an admin machine to be accessible by the 'general public' (ie if also used for
library searching etc)?? Aren't you asking for trouble (8-) ??

Peter/
Peter Kuo                   | Bitnet (VMS)  : KUO@SASK
Accelerator Laboratory      |
(a.k.a. The Beam Warehouse) | uucp   (Unix) : !alberta\
Univ. of Saskatchewan       |                 !ihnp4  -- !sask!skatter!kuo
Saskatoon, Saskatchewan     |                 !utcsri /
CANADA  S7N 0W0             |
(Earth)                     | Ma Bell       : (306) 966-8528

Disclaimer: I don't know what I am saying, I'm only a physicist.
            Don't quote me on anything! I speak only for myself.

Opus: "Why, fer cryin' out loud..research physicists need Porsches, TOO!!"

						 -- Bloom County