[comp.os.vms] Need info on TWG TCP-IP processor overhead

tpmsph@ecsvax.UUCP (Thomas P. Morris) (02/09/88)

Our site is looking into the purchase of some TCP-IP
terminal servers, to be connected to our VAX VMS 8530,
using the Wollongong TCP-IP (if we cannot find any
IVECS-type BI-bus processor board).

We have heard from other sites that there is `some'
overhead in running TCP-IP terminal server connections
using the TWG software. Claims about CPU overhead have
varied wildly. Can anyone who is actually using TWG
TCP-IP and VMS with BRIDGE or Micom or XYPLEX or DEVELNET
servers please comment?

	"Hard" data would be much preferred. Something like
"The cpu overhead is x%/connected process" or "we find that
xx connections use yy% cpu just for communications via TCP-IP".

Thanx in advance. Please reply via mail. I'll summarize and
post back to the net.

Tom Morris UNC School of Public Health

BITNET:	TOM@UNCSPHVX
USENET: ...!mcnc!ecsvax!tpmsph

lamaster@ames.arpa (Hugh LaMaster) (02/10/88)

In article <4582@ecsvax.UUCP> tpmsph@ecsvax.UUCP (Thomas P. Morris) writes:
>Our site is looking into the purchase of some TCP-IP
>terminal servers, to be connected to our VAX VMS 8530,
>using the Wollongong TCP-IP (if we cannot find any
>IVECS-type BI-bus processor board).

I'm not sure what an IVECS board is.  The following tests were
done on an 8650, VMS 4.5, recent Wollongong (Not sure of version, but
it is much improved over the earlier, much maligned, versions.)
I'm not sure which DEC Ethernet board we are using either.  BUT ...

>We have heard from other sites that there is `some'
>overhead in running TCP-IP terminal server connections
>using the TWG software. Claims about CPU overhead have
>varied wildly. Can anyone who is actually using TWG
>TCP-IP and VMS with BRIDGE or Micom or XYPLEX or DEVELNET
>servers please comment?
>
>	"Hard" data would be much preferred. Something like
>"The cpu overhead is x%/connected process" or "we find that
>xx connections use yy% cpu just for communications via TCP-IP".

I have measured CPU overhead to: Ultrix, SunOS 3.2, and
Annex Terminal Servers (X2.1.8).  Unlike in the past, before TWG
was so much improved, I am now unable to discern
ANY difference in CPU overhead between a TWG Telnet Connection
and a DM- type connection.  Recent measurements showed that
a TYPE of a large file on a machine with few interactive users
and some idle time (batch jobs off and on, which didn't seem
to have an effect on the test) produced about the same total
usage whether going to the network or to a terminal.  (Speed
scaled appropriately).

I haven't
observed horrendous overheads due to terminals since we got rid of
our DZ-11's (I think that is what the interrupt per character
boards were).  If you have many many low CPU usage terminals
connected, and every last CPU cycle counts, you should probably do
a formal study.   If, on the other hand, you just want to make sure
that you won't lose half the machine because of terminal servers,
it doesn't look like an issue anymore (yes, it was in the past).
The total throughput of an 8650 appears to be about 12-14KBytes/sec
from TYPE, which may be doing line at a time output - 2KBytes/sec/MIPS.
In either case, there is substantial overhead from doing terminal
output, but it is about the same in either case.

If most of your usage is in EDT (or its successors) there may be
special efficiency issues- the Annex is supposed to put multiple
characters from cursor control in one packet.  Does a DMZ produce
only one interrupt in that case?  I suspect you get three, so
potentially the terminal server could be more efficient.  etc. etc.

(By the way, the Annex has been up for 112 days -probably our last
power outage.  It has been reliable.)