[comp.os.vms] CAPUTURING SEND/COMMAND RESPONSE

SUE@MAX.ACS.WASHINGTON.EDU (02/11/88)

From:   IN%"carl@CitHex.Caltech.EDU" 10-FEB-1988 11:36
To:     SUE@MAX.ACS.WASHINGTON.EDU, info-vax@CitHex.Caltech.EDU
Subj:   Re: CAPTURING OUTPUT OF SEND/COMMAND <NODE> SHOW USERS TO FILE

 >    DOES ANYONE KNOW HOW I CAN CAPTURE THE REPLY FROM A
 > "SEND/COMMAND <NODE> SHOW USERS" INTO A FILE, INCLUDING ERROR MESSAGES
 > SUCH AS "NO SUCH NODE DEFINED".
 >   I'VE TRIED CAPTURING THIS INTO A FILE WITHOUT SUCCESS--THE OUTPUT IS
 > FORCED INTO MY TERMINAL.

There are a number of ways to do this.
    1)  You could write a program that associates a mailbox with your terminal
        and  traps  incoming  broadcast  messages to a file.  I don't know the
        details of how to do this, but I know it can be done because there  is
        a utility (TPU) that comes with VMS that will do it.
    2)  You can use the command EDIT/TPU (if you've  got  an  ANSI  terminal),
        then  execute  the  EVE  command "DCL SEND/COMMAND <NODE> SHOW USERS".
        The results will be put in the buffer MESSAGES.
    3)  You can use the DCL command "SET HOST 0/LOG", log in again, issue  the
        SEND  command,  wait until it finishes, and then log out.  The results
        will be in the log file (SETHOST.LOG, by default).