[comp.os.vms] Info-vax a digest?

art@ccelsn.ARPA (Art McClinton (703)883-6356) (01/27/88)

>Eckart Meyer <I7100501%DBSTU1.BITNET@CUNYVM.CUNY.EDU> writes:
>
>Stephan Wasserroth <wasserroth%vax.hmi.dbp.de@RELAY.CS.NET> writes:
>>.... If infovax will sometimes become a digest, I will subscribe again.
>>Thanks for all Your effort!
>
>Just to speak another opinion: NEVER let info-vax be a digest. It should
>remain a *Discussion* with fast responses!

I do recognise that the digest format causes difficulties with users who
read info-vax using VMS MAIL.  It should not however slow responses.  It
possibly could be set up that those desiring the digiest format would be
on one distribution list while those not wanting digests are on another list.
all information would still be send to info-vax... but the digests would
be sent from a separate list.

Obviously, I can not speak for the gracious host of this mailing list who
must already work many long hours every week (or is it day) so that we
might chat with one another.

This question only seems to come up when one of our user machines starts
swamping info-vax with useless reply messages telling us that some user
no longer exists.  Lets try to fix these quicker.  I wish that everones
postmaster account included the name and phone number of the person that
would be willing to hear about such returned messages.

-------

I7100501@DBSTU1.BITNET (Eckart Meyer) (02/05/88)

Stephan Wasserroth <wasserroth%vax.hmi.dbp.de@RELAY.CS.NET> writes:
>.... If infovax will sometimes become a digest, I will subscribe again.
>Thanks for all Your effort!

Just to speak another opinion: NEVER let info-vax be a digest. It should
remain a *Discussion* with fast responses!

Eckart Meyer                            BITNET: I7100501@DBSTU1
Inst. f. Nachrichtentechnik             PHONE:  0531 / 391-2454
Technical University of Braunschweig    ADDR:   Schleinitzstr. 23
Germany                                            3300 Braunschweig

-------

dboyes@uoregon.UUCP (David Boyes) (02/10/88)

In article <8802050601.AA04165@ucbvax.Berkeley.EDU> I7100501@DBSTU1.BITNET (Eckart Meyer) writes:
>Just to speak another opinion: NEVER let info-vax be a digest. It should
>remain a *Discussion* with fast responses!
>Eckart Meyer                            BITNET: I7100501@DBSTU1

As much as I agree with the idea of fast response, SOMETHING must be
done about the volume of this list, especially when it it gatewayed
into other networks such as BITNET. This list produces 20-140 files
per day (seen @ OREGON1.BITNET, more for major links in BITNET like
CUNYVM->FRMOP11, PSUVM, etc.), more than ANY other redistributed list,
and more than most others combined. This list is causing a critical
load on the few international links in BITNET.

A weekly digest would make reading this list a LOT more palatable in
terms of network load and the quantity of information received
compared to the volume.

I'm willing to contribute my time to editing and production of the
digest if some of you VMS gurus like Frank Nagy, et al. are willing to
continue providing your usual good stuff as answers.

What do we need to do to make this sort of thing go?
--
David Boyes         | ARPA: 556%OREGON1.BITNET@CUNYVM.CUNY.EDU
Systems Division    | BITNET: 556@OREGON1

rrk@byuvax.bitnet (02/11/88)

I like to think I help a few people on this network with VMS problems.
But I don't think I will have access if it is a digest.