[comp.os.vms] Problem MAIL sites.

WIZARD@RITA.ACS.WASHINGTON.EDU (The Bandit "." "." "." "", on" "RITA) (02/12/88)

Hello all, George J. Carrette (gjc@bu-it.BU.EDU) writes:

> A test-message once in a while doesnt bother me, at least it shows
> that someone is being responsible and trying to maintain his mail
> system integrity.
>
> However, is there something we can do about
>
> Addressee: B8639
> Reason: %MAIL-E-NOSUCHUSR, no such user B8639 at node RITA

We have had some problems with our INFO-VAX mail over the past few weeks,
which seems to be finally clearing up.  One result of this problem was
that we weren't seeing *any* INFO-VAX mail for a long time.  During this
time, it seems, a lot of mail queued up for our site.  (I am still, as
of 11-Feb-1988, getting mail from mid-January!)

Meanwhile (a great book, by the way) one of our staff members left and
his account was removed.  Either he didn't unsubscribe, or his request
didn't make it through.  In any case, all that piled up mail was being
sent back to INFO-VAX.  (I am told that this is because the headers
specify that replies should go to INFO-VAX rather than to the poster.)

Once we discovered the problem, we took steps to reduce its impact.
Please let me know (via direct MAIL) if you continue to get rejected
mail messages for RITA::B8639 which are dated after the start of February,
give or take a few days.  The problem should be fixed now, but just in case...

Derek Haining
Academic Computing Services
University of Washington
Seattle, Washington