*Position: 76 Deg. 52' 28.5" West, 38 Deg. 59' 59.8" North.
*From:     John J. McMahon, Systems Programmer, STX - ST Systems Corporation.
*Project:  COBE Science Data Room (CSDR), Code 401.1

X> From: SUE@UWAV4.ACS.WASHINGTON.EDU
X>
X>    DOES ANYONE KNOW HOW I CAN CAPTURE THE REPLY FROM A
X> "SEND/COMMAND <NODE> SHOW USERS" INTO A FILE, INCLUDING ERROR MESSAGES
X> SUCH AS "NO SUCH NODE DEFINED".
X>   I'VE TRIED CAPTURING THIS INTO A FILE WITHOUT SUCCESS--THE OUTPUT IS
X> FORCED INTO MY TERMINAL.

I assume you are talking about the SEND/COMMAND verb that comes with JNET.
(For those of you not on Bitnet, JNET is the package that is used by most Vax
sites to hook up to Bitnet).

Output from SEND/COMMAND is forced to the teminal by the SYS$BRKTHRU system
service.  If you want to capture it, check the Screen Management Routines
(SMG$).  I think the routine is called "trap broadcast", or something like that.

There is excellent chat routine called XYZZY that does this already, but it's
designed more for two (or more) people holding a conversation.

The other route is to create a JNET server.  The only problem with that is that
the procedures aren't documented yet.  The Jnet programmers manual is a coming
attraction...

regards,
^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v
John J. McMahon (Fast-Eddie)
Disclaimer: Views expressed in this letter are my own,
            and are not meant to represent the views of my employers.