[comp.os.vms] Error trying to use VERB

terrell@musky2.EDU (Roger Terrell) (02/04/88)

I took VERB from comp.os.vms, unSHARed it with no errors, compiled it
via the COMPILE.COM command file with no errors, and ran it.  This was
the output...

$ RUN VERB
Error parsing 'width'
Specified entity not found in command tables
Symbolic stack dump follows
module name     routine name                     line       rel PC    abs PC

                                                           7FF946F5  7FF946F5
                                                           7FF944FB  7FF944FB
                                                           7FF9401C  7FF9401C
                                                           00008D7A  00008D7A
VERB_EXTRACTOR  VERB_EXTRACTOR                     32      0000001D  00008A1D

Does anyone have an idea of the problem?

Thanks,

Roger

--

Roger Terrell
Muskingum College			...cbosgd!musky2!terrell (UUCP)

hydrovax@nmtsun.nmt.edu (M. Warner Losh) (02/05/88)

In article <52@musky2.EDU>, terrell@musky2.EDU (Roger Terrell) writes:

> I took VERB from comp.os.vms, unSHARed it with no errors, compiled it
> via the COMPILE.COM command file with no errors, and ran it.  This was
> the output...
>
> $ RUN VERB
> [error deleted]
> Does anyone have an idea of the problem?

Yes, actually.  I do.  Since I was the poster of this program I know a
thing or two about it.  Unfortunately note enough things, but I can
answer this question.

In the readme file, there should have been a reference to the .cld file
that the program needs.  You should do a $ SET COMMAND VERB.CLD and have
EXE$DIR defined to point to the current directory (quickest and easiest
way that I know of is DEFINE EXE$DIR 'F$ENVIRONMENT("DEFAULT")).  Then
just type VERB verb, and it will give you the definition of verb on your
terminal.

I just looked the distribution I made, and sure enough, there aren't explicit
instructions on it's setup.  And the instructions on it's use were a little
vague (and found in the BLURB.TXT file).   The command file stuff is the
crtical bit here.

Sorry for any confusion that I may have generated. :-(.
--
bitnet:	losh@nmt.csnet			M. Warner Losh
	warner@hydrovax.nmt.csnet    ! Don't know if this works, let me know.

SJCOLE@CC.UTAH.EDU ("Samuel J. Cole") (02/05/88)

Subject: Error trying to use VERB

You need to install VERB as a command with

$ SET COMMAND VERB

rrk@byuvax.bitnet (02/06/88)

Normally you cannot "Run" a program which has been written for a CLD file
any more than you can "Run" the images in sys$system written to be driven
by command table commands.

First edit the VERB.CLD and make sure that the image clause points to the
right place.  Then type "SET COMMAND VERB"  then try commands like:

$ VERB IF

and

$ VERB SHOW

I write all my programs written to be invoked by DCLTABLES so that they CAN
be run from the run command or as a foreign command by reparsing the command
internally before calling the CLI routines, but most people don't.  I've
only seen DEC do this in a few instances.

ignatz@chinet.UUCP (Dave Ihnat) (02/07/88)

Yep.  It's using the CLI command parser calls to try and get it's
arguments; and you havent' installed the command via 'INSTALL'.
--
			Dave Ihnat
			ihnp4!homebru!ignatz || ihnp4!chinet!ignatz

hydrovax@nmtsun.nmt.edu (M. Warner Losh) (02/08/88)

In article <2266@chinet.UUCP>, ignatz@chinet.UUCP (Dave Ihnat) writes:
> Yep.  It's using the CLI command parser calls to try and get it's
> arguments; and you havent' installed the command via 'INSTALL'.

This isn't entirely correct.  You do need to do something special, but
it isn't install.  You need to do a SET COMMAND VERB and then run verb
via $VERB ...  Other than that, you are correct about verb using the
command parser.

--
bitnet:	losh@nmt.csnet			M. Warner Losh
	warner@hydrovax.nmt.csnet    ! Don't know if this works, let me know.
csnet:	warner@hydrovax.nmt.edu
uucp:	...{cmcl2, ihnp4}!lanl!unmvax!nmtsun!warner%hydrovax

dave@wsccs.UUCP (VAX Headroom @ The End of the Galaxy) (02/09/88)

Rather than running VERB there should be a VERB.CLD file which you need to
do a set command on.  EX:
SET COMMAND VERB
Before you do this however, you may need to edit VERB.CLD and change
the line containing the word image some-file-spec to point
to where you keep verb.  After this you can just type
VERB command
to use VERB.

|		    |	     Dave E Martin       | DISCLAIMER: Been Cancelled |
|    /\		    | "...between the streets of | $ opinion/mine/noUinTech   |
|   /  \  .    /\   | Dallas, and the beaches of |----------------------------|
|  /    \/ \/\/  \  | Miami ...  THIS  was   Max | ...!ihnp4!utah-cs!utah-gr! |
| / U i n T e c h \ | Headroom's  finest  hour." | uplherc!sp7040!obie!       |
|		    |	          --Max Headroom | wsccs!net23.dnet!dave      |

baur@iravcl.ira.uka.de (02/13/88)

Extracted-News: iravcl comp.os.vms:326

In article <52@musky2.EDU> terrell@musky2.EDU (Roger Terrell) writes:

>I took VERB from comp.os.vms, unSHARed it with no errors, compiled it
>via the COMPILE.COM command file with no errors, and ran it.  This was
>the output...
>
>$ RUN VERB
>Error parsing 'width'
>Specified entity not found in command tables
>Symbolic stack dump follows
>module name     routine name                     line       rel PC    abs PC
>
>                                                           7FF946F5  7FF946F5
>                                                           7FF944FB  7FF944FB
>                                                           7FF9401C  7FF9401C
>                                                           00008D7A  00008D7A
>VERB_EXTRACTOR  VERB_EXTRACTOR                     32      0000001D  00008A1D
>

>Does anyone have an idea of the problem?
>
>Thanks,
>
>Roger
>

>--
>
>Roger Terrell
>Muskingum College			...cbosgd!musky2!terrell (UUCP)
>New Concord, OH  43762

directory where you placed the image of verb. Then try

$SET COMMAND VERB

I think this will work as you like. The error you discovered is just
the same as trying to execute a VMS image from sys$system: with the
RUN command.

Markus

baur@iravcl.ira.uka.de