[comp.os.vms] Posting executables

scjones@sdrc.UUCP (Larry Jones) (02/14/88)

In article <577@naucse.UUCP>, jdc@naucse.UUCP (John Campbell) writes:
> I think we shouldn't send EXE files.  If you don't want to send the
> actual code (and I guess there are reasons), why not send the OBJ file?

> A while back the C RTL was reorganized, causing EXE files to no longer be
> backwards compatible.  If the user had an OBJ file then they could just
> relink and run on older and newer operating system.  I worry that at
> some future release of VMS my ARC users won't be able to get to their files...
>

> This is not a flame, I really wanted ARC so thanks Larry.  Do others agree,
> however, that it would be best to send 1) *source*, 2) *object* files?  Am
> I missing something?
> --
> 	John Campbell               ...!arizona!naucse!jdc
>
> 	unix?  Sure send me a dozen, all different colors.

In general, I agree with the points you make.  However, in the posting of
ARC, there were some very good reasons for posting the executable which may
be applicable in other cases as well.

The version of the C RTL that comes with VMS4.6 has a bug in the I/O routines
which is FATAL to ARC.  Thus, to make sure that it would work for everyone, I
linked with the non-sharable version that came with C V2.2 which does not seem
to have the problem (although Lord knows there's many others).  Since this is
the non-sharable, you needn't worry about incompatabilities (although VMS could
be a problem I know it works on 4.5 and I hope there aren't too many people
still running version earlier than that).

Also, I consider this to be an interim release.  I wanted to get something out
since there were so many people begging for it, but there's still a good bit of
work to be done before I'll consider it "finished".  When it is I will most
likely post an arc containing source, documentation, and (for convenience
((or necessity if I keep running into RTL bugs))) an executable.
--

----
Larry Jones                         UUCP: uunet!sdrc!scjones