[comp.os.vms] Converting MS-DOS TurboPascal to VMS

sdavis@well.UUCP (Steven P. Davis) (02/13/88)

I have been asked to advise on a project to convert
an MS-DOS TurboPascal application to VMS.  Any advice
or experience would be greatly appreciated.  Choice
of compilers for VMS is open.  Thanks.

dhesi@bsu-cs.UUCP (Rahul Dhesi) (02/14/88)

In article <5230@well.UUCP> sdavis@well.UUCP (Steven P. Davis) writes:
>I have been asked to advise on a project to convert
>an MS-DOS TurboPascal application to VMS.  Any advice
>or experience would be greatly appreciated.  Choice
>of compilers for VMS is open.  Thanks.

There was a file making the rounds of BBSs that I came across a year or
two ago.  It was written by somebody at DEC and contained some routines
to allow Turbo Pascal programs to be fairly easily ported to VAX/VMS
Pascal.  I probably still have it somewhere but it would take too long
to dig it out.

Given that neither Turbo Pascal nor VAX/VMS Pascal allows you to do
anything substantial without getting very far away from ISO Pascal, I
recommend using C.
--
Rahul Dhesi         UUCP:  <backbones>!{iuvax,pur-ee,uunet}!bsu-cs!dhesi