[comp.os.vms] VT100 screens to Ventura

EVERHART%ARISIA.DECnet@GE-CRD.ARPA (02/08/88)

David Brown asked for a means of capturing VT100 screens for later
input to Ventura Publisher.
	Doing this with a PC could be hard... however, if you want to do
it, and do it cleanly, get hold of an Amiga. The shareware HANDSHAKE program
does an excellent job of VT102 emulation (including the double size chars
and attributes) and, as an Amiga application, can easily have a screen
dumped to a file, a printer, or wherever at any time.
	Once you HAVE the Amiga, you may want to trash your PC, of course...
it already has the multitasking, multi-windows, etc. etc. that OS/2
only promises; a bit like having your own Sun workstation, only far less
expensive (and more colorful than most of the Suns I've seen). The latest
Handshake supports an extended VT100 mode with 48 or so lines as well as
the standard 24 lines.
	As for software to capture the output, SHOWX or the screen dumper
on AmigaDos 1.2's EXTRAS disk can be used, or the commercial GRABBiT
program. Also the CMD4 program may be useful; it allows capture of print
output to files. If you want to generate graphics dumps to put into a
PC, that sort of capture could be useful.
	(Then again, there are some fairly decent publishing packages on
Amiga now too, and all solve the problems of merging graphics in this
way trivially. You could be well advised to use one of those for parts
of your document...)
	Glenn Everhart
Everhart%Arisia.decnet@crd.ge.com

mithomas@bsu-cs.UUCP (Michael Thomas Niehaus) (02/15/88)

In article <8802121647.AA27207@ucbvax.Berkeley.EDU>, EVERHART%ARISIA.DECnet@GE-CRD.ARPA writes:

> David Brown asked for a means of capturing VT100 screens for later
> input to Ventura Publisher.
> 	Doing this with a PC could be hard... however, if you want to do
> it, and do it cleanly, get hold of an Amiga. The shareware HANDSHAKE program
> does an excellent job of VT102 emulation...

The same thing can be done on a Macintosh.  There are some excellent programs
out to let you capture any screen from a VT100 terminal, even graphics from
a VT240 terminal.  Then, why not get a desktop publishing package for the
Mac, something like PageMaker 3.0 maybe, and see what a REAL presentation
manager looks like...

> 	Once you HAVE the Amiga, you may want to trash your PC, of course...

I thought the same thing about a Macintosh.

> 	As for software to capture the output, SHOWX or the screen dumper
> on AmigaDos 1.2's EXTRAS disk can be used, or the commercial GRABBiT

On the Mac, you can press a couple of keys to save a snapshot of a screen;
no special software is needed.

> 	Glenn Everhart
> Everhart%Arisia.decnet@crd.ge.com

Michael Niehaus
UUCP: ..{uunet,pur-ee,iuvax}!bsu-cs!mithomas