[comp.os.vms] GNU EMACS

franco@alberta.UUCP (Franco Carlacci) (02/09/88)

Just like to thank those people who answered my query about  logging out.
There was indeed a command file execution attached to the symbol logout.
I have another question. I was reading in the newsgroup that there was a
version of GNUemacs for VMS. How does one get a copy? What languages are
needed to run it?

		Franco

SCS7317@oberlin.bitnet (02/13/88)

I need some help with gnu emacs:

	1) How do I get a shell to run under VMS?

	2) Can someone send me a copy of the online manual?

Thanks in Advance:

Chris Seline
scs7317%ocvaxa@vb.cc.cmu.edu  (internet)
scs7317@ocvaxa.oberlin.edu    (CSnet)
ihnp4!oberlin!ocvaxa!scs7317  (UUCP)
SCS7317@oberlin.bitnet	      (BITNET -- if your database is up to date)
SCS7317%ocvaxa@CMCCVB.BITNET  (BITNET -- if your database is OLD)

dboyes@uoregon.UUCP (David Boyes) (02/15/88)

In article <142917.2147405664@ocvaxa.oberlin.edu> SCS7317@oberlin.bitnet writes:
>[stuff about GNUmacs, the editor that's a way of life....]
>	1) How do I get a shell to run under VMS?

You can't, unless you're willing to rewrite great sections of either
GNUmacs or fix VMS' primitive means of interprocess communication. VMS
isn't very graceful (ie, you gotta write a LOT of assembler) when you
want to have two processes communicate and send input and output to
each other.

Note that this is documented in the first 5 pages of the printed GNU
manual.

>	2) Can someone send me a copy of the online manual?

Type control-h I to get the online manual. The source (unformatted
with nroff commands) should be on your installation's distribution
tape.

--
David Boyes         | ARPA: 556%OREGON1.BITNET@CUNYVM.CUNY.EDU
Systems Division    | BITNET: 556@OREGON1