[net.dcom] Pacific Bell and unlocked B-boxes

lauren@vortex.UUCP (Lauren Weinstein) (06/10/85)

Frankly, one thing I've noticed PacBell doing lately that really
irks me is leaving B-boxes (local loop distribution boxes) unlocked!
More and more I'm seeing the new style (wide and low) boxes which
are bolted closed but without a lock in the hasp.  I don't much
care for the concept that any jerk with the right wrench could
come along and fiddle around in there.  I saw one in Hollywood
that wasn't even bolted closed--it was sitting there with one
door swung open and no telco people in the vicinity.
How about some security on the outside plant, Pacific?

--Lauren--

10880733@sdcc3.UUCP (10880733) (06/13/85)

In article <684@vortex.UUCP> lauren@vortex.UUCP (Lauren Weinstein) writes:

> Frankly, one thing I've noticed PacBell doing lately that really
> irks me is leaving B-boxes (local loop distribution boxes) unlocked!
> More and more I'm seeing the new style (wide and low) boxes which
> are bolted closed but without a lock in the hasp.  I don't much
> care for the concept that any jerk with the right wrench could
> come along and fiddle around in there.  I saw one in Hollywood
> that wasn't even bolted closed--it was sitting there with one
> door swung open and no telco people in the vicinity.
> How about some security on the outside plant, Pacific?
>
>--Lauren--

The right wrench you ask? American 7/16" hex.  You can pick one up at your
local Sears. It's a pretty standard size, and comes in most socket sets.

-- Jim Hayes  UCSD