[comp.os.vms] Demise of EDT with VMS V5.0?

nagy%warner.hepnet@LBL.GOV (Frank J. Nagy, VAX Wizard & Guru) (02/02/88)

> I was told by someone that they read in a magazine that DEC would not be
> distributing the EDT editor with VMS v5.0.  Can anybody tell me if this is
> true or not?

I believe that this is untrue (I can't be certain since there is nothing
in my notes from the Fall '87 DECUS Symposium) and that what Digital
really said in Anaheim is that there will be no more improvements for
EDT with VMS V5.0, that it is being frozen in its current state.

Again, this is just my memory of one of the VMS sessions in Anaheim.
Maybe some other netter can corroborate.

= Frank J. Nagy   "VAX Guru & Wizard"
= Fermilab Research Division EED/Controls
= HEPNET: WARNER::NAGY (43198::NAGY) or FNAL::NAGY (43009::NAGY)
= BitNet: NAGY@FNAL
= USnail: Fermilab POB 500 MS/220 Batavia, IL 60510

-------

RAJAH@UREGINA1.BITNET (A. Mahendra Rajah) (02/11/88)

  This is what in the Release Notes for V4.6:

  Section 3.2.9  EDTSECINI Support

       The EDTSECINI editor (?) provides a TPU-based EDT keypad emulation
       editor. This editor is supplied in both source and compiled format
       Version 4.6

       Howvere, for the next major release (V5.0??), the EVE editor will
       support the EDT keypad; DIGITAL will no longer supply either the
       EDTSECINI.TPU or EDTINI.TPU$SECTION files. If you plan to continue
       using the EDTSECINI editor, DIGITAL recommends you save a copy
       before performing the upgrade for the next major release.
Acknowledge-To: A. Mahendra Rajah <RAJAH@UREGINA1>

ERIC@UOFT02.BITNET (Eric) (02/16/88)

From:   IN%"INFO-VAX@KL.SRI.COM" 10-FEB-1988 08:23
To:     Eric Rostetter <ERIC@UOFT02>
Subj:   RE: Demise of EDT with VMS V5.0?

> I was told by someone that they read in a magazine that DEC would not be
> distributing the EDT editor with VMS v5.0.  Can anybody tell me if this is
> true or not?

>> I believe that this is untrue (I can't be certain since there is nothing
>> in my notes from the Fall '87 DECUS Symposium) and that what Digital
>> really said in Anaheim is that there will be no more improvements for
>> EDT with VMS V5.0, that it is being frozen in its current state.

My guess to this is that until DEC gets EVE/LSE/TPU working without error and
on both the PDP's as well as VAX's, they can't afford to stop supporting ETD.
From what I have heard, EDT will continue to be distributed but the EDTSECINI
source file for TPU will not be distributed with VMS 5.0 or later.  This last
bit of info is from  (among other places)  the February issue of the DEC Pro-
fessional (page 114).  One reason for this is that the new version of EVE  is
supposed to support the EDT keypad...  Well, we'll have to wait and see...

Those are my two cents worth on the subject... :)

Eric Rostetter
Eric @ uoft02.bitnet