[comp.os.vms] VMS Documentation Search

jacques@INTECH.ARPA (02/11/88)

Despite careful review of the VMS documentation set and of the DEC 'Software
Product Documentation' list, I could not find any references to documents
that have been mentioned in INFO-VAX. These are

   - a so called 'VMS Internals' manual

   - a document describing the MAIL program interface

I would appreciate obtaining document part number, correct title and effective
VMS release number for these documents or any other useful (but hidden) manual.

Jacques Ouimet                             internet:   jacques@intech.arpa
Intellitech Canada Ltd                     PSI mail:   302085800757::jacques
81 Metcalfe,Ottawa,ONT

mike@VAX.OIT.UDEL.EDU ("Michael J. Porter") (02/16/88)

    >From:	MAILER!<local-info-vax-request@louie.udel.edu> 13-FEB-1988 11:39
    >To:	info-vax%kl.sri.com@UDEL.EDU
    >Subj:	 VMS Documentation Search
    >
    >Date: Wed, 10 Feb 88 14:24:52 est
    >From: jacques%intech.arpa@UDEL.EDU
    >To: info-vax%kl.sri.com@UDEL.EDU
    >Subject: VMS Documentation Search
    >
    >Despite careful review of the VMS documentation set and of the DEC 'Software
    >Product Documentation' list, I could not find any references to documents
    >that have been mentioned in INFO-VAX. These are
    >
    >   - a so called 'VMS Internals' manual
    >
    >   - a document describing the MAIL program interface
    >
    >I would appreciate obtaining document part number, correct title and effective
    >VMS release number for these documents or any other useful (but hidden) manual.
    >

    >Jacques Ouimet                             internet:   jacques@intech.arpa
    >Intellitech Canada Ltd                     PSI mail:   302085800757::jacques
    >81 Metcalfe,Ottawa,ONT

I received the following info from a DEC mailing recently:

VAX/VMS Internals and Data Structures: Version 4.4.  EY-8264E-DP ($75,
986 Pages)  ISBN 1-55558-008-4.

You can call toll free 1-800-332-5656 Ext 111 or mail a request to:

Digital Press
Digital Equipment Corporation
12 Crosby Drive BUO/E55
Bedford MA 01730

Michael Porter
Systems Programmer
Univeristy of Delaware
Newark, DE      19716

Phone:     (302) 451-6040
Internet:  mike@vax.oit.udel.edu
------

pdb@sei.cmu.edu (Patrick Barron) (02/16/88)

In article <8802101924.AA10856@intech.arpa> jacques@INTECH.ARPA writes:
>Despite careful review of the VMS documentation set and of the DEC 'Software
>Product Documentation' list, I could not find any references to documents
>that have been mentioned in INFO-VAX. These are
>
>   - a so called 'VMS Internals' manual

"VAX/VMS Internals and Data Structures, Version 4.4".  This is not part of
any documentation set, but is a book published by Digital Educational
Services.  I don't have an order number handy, but if you call them up
at (800) 343-8321, I'm sure they'll be happy to help you.  I got my copy
of the book not long ago, and it's very good.  Just wish I didn't have to
wait so long for it to be published!

>   - a document describing the MAIL program interface

As far as I know, no such document exists.  The only thing I've ever seen
written about it was an INFO-VAX posting by John Hascall of Iowa State
University, last September.

--Pat.

hildum@iris.ucdavis.edu (Eric Hildum) (02/16/88)

Hello.

I have the VAX/VMS Internal and Data Structures Manual for VMS version
3.  It is published by Digital Press, and the order number is
EY-00014-DP. That should get you started, as the software distribution
center should be able to get you a more recent part number. (The
authors are Kenah and Bate.)

				Eric

				dehildum@ucdavis.ucdavis.edu	(Internet)
				dehildum@ucdavis.bitnet	(BITNET)
				ucbvax!ucdavis!dehildum	(uucp)

LEICHTER@VENUS.YCC.YALE.EDU ("Jerry Leichter ", LEICHTER-JERRY@CS.YALE.EDU) (02/17/88)

	Despite careful review of the VMS documentation set and of the DEC
	'Software Product Documentation' list, I could not find any references
	to documents that have been mentioned in INFO-VAX. These are

	   - a so called 'VMS Internals' manual

This isn't published as documentation, but as a Digital Press book.  The title
is something like VAX/VMS Internals and Data Structures.  The old V3 version
was by Larry Kenah and Simon Bates; the new, V4 version, which just came out
a month or two ago, will have Ruth Goldberg's name on there as an author, but
I don't know what the full authorship list will be.  I don't have a copy so I
can't give you an ISBN, but the book should (eventually) appear in "Books In
Print"; or you could get in touch with Digital Press.

	   - a document describing the MAIL program interface

Are you talking about the MAIL-11 network protocol? - I'm not sure what "the
MAIL program interface" would be, other than the commands at the MAIL prompt
and related things like initialization files.  If that's what you want, check
the Mail section in the Utilities manual.

As for the network protocol:  There is no "official" documentation, but it's a
rather simple protocol and descriptions have wandered around the net and DECUS
at various times.  Sorry, I don't have any copies handy - if this is what you
want, I'm sure someone can dig up a copy for you.

	I would appreciate obtaining document part number, correct title and
	effective VMS release number for these documents or any other useful
	(but hidden) manual.

							-- Jerry

mbr@beta.UUCP (Mike Rose) (02/19/88)

In article <8802101924.AA10856@intech.arpa> jacques@INTECH.ARPA writes:
>I could not find any references to documents
>that have been mentioned in INFO-VAX. These are
>   - a so called 'VMS Internals' manual

"Version 4.4 VAX/VMS Internals and Data Structures"
Order number EY-8264E-DP

Mike Rose