[comp.os.vms] SHOW USERS

jrozbori@udenva.cair.du.edu (Jim Rozboril) (01/28/88)

I seem to remember this question asked a while ago, but I don't recall
reading an answer.  Very simply, why does show users report one more
person than is actually on the system.  Can this be fixed easily?  I
know it's not a big deal, I was just curious more than anything.

roz

jeh@crash.cts.com (Jamie Hanrahan) (01/29/88)

In article <9751@udenva.cair.du.edu> jrozbori@udenva.UUCP (Jim Rozboril) writes:

>I seem to remember this question asked a while ago, but I don't recall
>reading an answer.  Very simply, why does show users report one more
>person than is actually on the system.  Can this be fixed easily?  I
>know it's not a big deal, I was just curious more than anything.
>
>roz

Have you ever allowed Bruce Ellis to log into your system?  :-)

ISSWWH@NUSVM.BITNET (Choy H. W.) (02/15/88)

Jim Rozboril says:

SHOW USER indicates 1 extra user than actually present.

I have never seen this occurring in all the VMS systems
that I have encountered. VAX/VMS 4.4 8600/785 cluster,
uVAX II/VMS 4.2 to 4.6 on DECnet...

Can u elaborate on the circumstances, hardware/software levels,...?
This is extremely intriguing!! >:-)

Choy Heng Wah

Chartered Electronics Industries
73 Ayer Rajah Crescent
#02-18 Ayer Rajah Industrial Estate
Singapore 0513. Republic of Singapore

BITNET: "Choy H. W." ISSWWH@NUSVM.BITNET

jrozbori@udenva.cair.du.edu (Jim Rozboril) (02/18/88)

In article <8802150816.AA25306@ucbvax.Berkeley.EDU> ISSWWH@NUSVM.BITNET (Choy H. W.) writes:
>Jim Rozboril says:
>
>SHOW USER indicates 1 extra user than actually present.

>Can u elaborate on the circumstances, hardware/software levels,...?
>This is extremely intriguing!! >:-)
>
>Choy Heng Wah

I am posting this to thank all who responded and to clear things up
for anyone else who might be curious.

After checking things out further, I realized that this only occured on
the nodes which were running CMU's TCP/IP.  Several kind folks who were
familiar with the product indicated that the problem was due to the fact
that the name server deamon was started as an interactive process.  When
I changed things so the process starts as a detached network process, show
users reports things correctly.

Again, thanks to all who helped.

jim rozboril
univ. of denver

rrk@byuvax.bitnet (02/20/88)

We have had this happen occasionally when a user's process is caught in
a weird mode such as RWAST.  Weird modes can be caused by bad device drivers,
bad sysgen configuration, and many other things.  Then the system manager
tries to delete the process.  It gets removed from the list of users, but
still hangs around.  Show users will count, but not show the extra user.
Usually SHOW SYSTEM will reveal the extra process that didn't totally get
deleted.  It may be necessary to reboot the system to make it go away.