[comp.os.vms] Converting MSDOS Turbo Pascal to VMS

EVERHART%ARISIA.DECnet@GE-CRD.ARPA (02/17/88)

Microsoft is currently distributing via various BBSs and in their
instant C product a program called T2C which is intended to convert
Turbo Pascal to C. Natch, the thing's intended to convert it to
Microsoft Instant C (wonder why?). However, given the great lack
of standardization in Pascal, I suggest passing your Turbo Pascal
code thru this beastie first, then trying to port the C code to
VMS. Should be much easier.
		There were some tools that did come out to convert turbo pascal to
DEC pascal, and those are on one of the miscellaneous PC collections
I submitted to the DECUS library last year. However, I forget which;
they were not in one of the pc-8088 collections though, unless I
recall wrong. Back when Bernie Eiben operated the Dec MARKET system,
you could get them there.
	None of these is an automatic solution, but since the Microsoft
thing was designed to help them sell product, I suspect it'll work
better than the quick & dirty kludges in the pascal-to-pascal archive.
Glenn Everhart
Everhart%Arisia.decnet@crd.ge.com

guest@vu-vlsi.UUCP (visitors) (02/22/88)

In article <8802210116.AA26477@ucbvax.Berkeley.EDU> EVERHART%ARISIA.DECnet@GE-CRD.ARPA writes:

>Microsoft is currently distributing via various BBSs and in their
>instant C product a program called T2C which is intended to convert
>Turbo Pascal to C. Natch, the thing's intended to convert it to
>Microsoft Instant C (wonder why?). However, given the great lack
>of standardization in Pascal, I suggest passing your Turbo Pascal
>code thru this beastie first, then trying to port the C code to
>VMS. Should be much easier.

Well, I don't know just how easy converting the C code generated by T2C will
be to port since T2C comes with a library of routines in a .lib file that
it uses, so you will probably have to implement a whole lot of these.

| Mark Schaffer        | BITNET: 164485913@vuvaxcom                          |
| Villanova University | UUCP:   ...{ihnp4!psuvax1,burdvax,cbmvax,pyrnj,bpa} |
| (Go Wildcats!)       |           !vu-vlsi!excalibur!164485913              |

  please respond/reply to the above addresses and not to guest@vu-vlsi.UUCP