[comp.os.vms] ethernet circuit keeps on synchronizing

SYSRUTH@utorphys.BITNET (02/16/88)

I don't know if this is your problem, but at the Canadian DECUS last
week some DEC people mentioned that the BI Ethernet interface, the
DEBNA, has a replacement module with many many fixes; I believe it is
called the DEBNT. In the States this upgrade is being offered free,
at least to those who have hardware maintenance (has anyone tried it
in Canada yet?). They also said that "future major functional releases"
of VMS after "the next major functional release" would cease to support
the DEBNA.

So even if this isn't your problem you should at least check into it.

Ruth Milner
Systems Manager
University of Toronto Physics

<standard disclaimer - I am simply reporting things as I remember them
and can make no guarantees either of the accuracy of the original information
or of my memory of it>

thierbac@umbc3.UMD.EDU (Ed Thierbach ) (02/23/88)

In article <8802152305.AA10268@gpu.utcs.toronto.edu> SYSRUTH@utorphys.BITNET writes:

>I don't know if this is your problem, but at the Canadian DECUS last
>week some DEC people mentioned that the BI Ethernet interface, the
>DEBNA, has a replacement module with many many fixes; I believe it is
>called the DEBNT. In the States this upgrade is being offered free,
>at least to those who have hardware maintenance (has anyone tried it
>in Canada yet?). They also said that "future major functional releases"
>of VMS after "the next major functional release" would cease to support
>the DEBNA.

Actually, it's the other way around...the DEBNT is being replaced by the
DEBNA.  Here's the story according to our Field Service folks:

At least in the US, the DEBNT -> DEBNA upgrade will be free to all DEBNT
sites with hardware maintenance contracts.  It won't happen soon, though,
because DEC can barely produce enough DEBNAs to keep up with orders for new
BI machines, much less produce enough to replace all the DEBNTs currently
installed.  If you're experiencing problems, though, you may be able to
talk your local field service manager into upgrading it now.

Also according to field service, the DEBNA is supported under 4.6, and a
driver can be obtained for 4.5 if you need it.  The DEBNT should be
supported for a while, though, 'cause there's a lot of sites with 'em.

Hope this helps!

------
Ed Thierbach
VAX System Manager