[comp.os.vms] I have seen other plea's but add my own.

MALLETT@HLSDNL5.BITNET (Keep cool; process promptly) (02/16/88)

Hi all,

        I know in the last few weeks I have seen several people
        asking what is happening to info-vax, at this site in
        Europe the flow of information has virtually (ho, ho!)
        stopped!

        Can someone please let me know what is going to happen?

        Yours in anticipation,

                        Nigel

     *  Sender                          *  Phone/network                *
     *  ------                          *  -------------                *
     *                                  *                               *
     *  Name:  Nigel Mallett            *  Phone: Int + 31 + 70435554   *
     *  (                     )         *                               *
     *                                  *  PSI 204117035801 (Datanet)   *
     *  Address: PTT Dr Neher Lab,      *                               *
     *  Postbus 421,                    *  MALLETT@HLSDNL50 (Bitnet)    *
     *  2260 AK Leidschendam,           *                               *
     *  Holland.                        *  DNLONE::MALLETT  (Surf)      *
     *                                  *                               *

dboyes@uoregon.UUCP (David Boyes) (02/23/88)

In article <8802202217.AA23139@ucbvax.Berkeley.EDU> MALLETT@HLSDNL5.BITNET (Keep cool; process promptly) writes:
>        asking what is happening to info-vax, at this site in
>        stopped!
>
>        Can someone please let me know what is going to happen?
>     *  Name:  Nigel Mallett            *  Phone: Int + 31 + 70435554   *
>     *  Postbus 421,                    *  MALLETT@HLSDNL50 (Bitnet)    *

Well, it's quite simple. There is ONE BITNET link between the US and
Europe (thanks a lot, BITNIC...grr). This list generates between 300
and 500 messages PER DAY (counting all multiple copies for stupid
mailers, local servers, inter-server distributions, etc.)
. With all the other semi-important traffic that has to pass through
this link, files queue up -- about 6000 or so. You can only push data
through a line so fast.

Thus, all this has to work it's way through the queues. This is
EXACTLY why this group should be digested. The volume is just TOO
high.

Once more, I volunteer to digest this group -- any takers?

--
David Boyes         | ARPA: 556%OREGON1.BITNET@CUNYVM.CUNY.EDU
Systems Division    | BITNET: 556@OREGON1

d2b@rayssd.ray.com (Donald A. Borsay) (02/26/88)

In article <1598@uoregon.UUCP> dboyes@drizzle.UUCP (David Boyes) writes:
>This list generates between 300
>and 500 messages PER DAY (counting all multiple copies for stupid
>mailers, local servers, inter-server distributions, etc.)
>. With all the other semi-important traffic that has to pass through
>this link, files queue up -- about 6000 or so. You can only push data
>through a line so fast.
>
>Thus, all this has to work it's way through the queues. This is
>EXACTLY why this group should be digested. The volume is just TOO
>high.

I guess I'm missing the point...  Even with a digest, the AMOUNT of data
is still the same, but the number of articles/messages is less.  I guess
BITnet must have a large overhead per mail message...

Why not resolve this within BITnet, or maybe even at the cross Atlantic
link?  Isn't the Arpanet list send to a BITnet list anyhow?  If so,
the intersect point is the BITnet list.

I read INFO-VAX from the Usenet comp.os.vms group.  Reading a digest format
newgroup makes RN as useful as CAT!

>Once more, I volunteer to digest this group -- any takers?
>

>--
>David Boyes         | ARPA: 556%OREGON1.BITNET@CUNYVM.CUNY.EDU
>Systems Division    | BITNET: 556@OREGON1
>UO Computing Center | UUCP: dboyes@uoregon.UUCP
>'How long d'ya think it'll be before just us oldtimers remember WISCVM?'

--
Don    |Raytheon Company, Submarine Signal Division, Portsmouth, RI
Borsay |ARPAnet: d2b%rayssd.RAY.COM@a.cs.uiuc.edu