[comp.os.vms] DECNET protocols specs

narayan@tandem.UUCP (Narayan Mohanram) (02/11/88)

How does one go about getting the protocols specifications for DECNET.
Is there a published technical document. I would like the information
on where to get it.

Thanks in advance

please reply to:

narayan@ati.tis.llnl.gov

jeh@crash.cts.com (Jamie Hanrahan) (02/12/88)

In article <343@tandem.UUCP> narayan@tandem.UUCP (Narayan Mohanram) writes:
>How does one go about getting the protocols specifications for DECNET.
>Is there a published technical document? ...

Yup!  Here they are.  This list was compiled by  Bob Tinkelman
and posted on DECUServe.)

            <<< DECUSV::DUA0:[NOTES$LIBRARY]DEC_NETWORKING.NOTE;1 >>>
                              -< DEC_NETWORKING >-
Note 34.0                DECnet DNA manual order numbers              No replies
DECUSV::TINKELMAN "Bob Tinkelman - CCA"              18 lines  15-SEP-1987 15:38

The following DECnet, Digital Network Architecture, manuals were
hard for me to locate at the time, so I thought it might be handy
for others if I gathered the order numbers together in one place.
All those dated 1982 or after are for DECnet Phase IV.  I don't
know if there are more recent versions of the others.

AA-D599A-TC DDCMP                   V4.0   Functional Spec. 03/78
AA-K177A-TK Data Access Protocol    v5.6.0 Functional Spec. 10/80
AA-K182A-TK Session Control         v1.0.0 Functional Spec. 11/80
AA-N149A-TC Phase IV                       General Desc.    05/82
AA-X435A-TK Routing Layer           V2.0.0 Functional Spec. 12/83
AA-X436A-TK Maintenance Operations  V3.0.0 Functional Spec. 12/83
AA-X437A-TK Network Management      v4.0.0 Functional Spec. 12/83
AA-X439A-TK NSP                     V4.0.0 Functional Spec. 12/83
AA-X440A-TK Ethernet Node           V1.0.0 Product Arch.    12/83
AA-Y298A-TK Ethernet Data Link      V1.0.0 Functional Spec. 12/83

Of course, you may now be looking for Phase 4+ or Phase 5 manuals.

(Addendum from JEH:  I don't know what Bob means by "Phase 4+", but
since this was posted, the following Phase V manual has appeared:

EK-DNAPV-GD  DNA Phase V Specification .  This is the Phase V equivalent
to AA-N149A-TC.

Note that, unlike MSCP and etc., DEC doesn't mind if you implement
these protocols on other systems.  A couple of people, for instance,
have DECnet running on the Macintosh.  Have fun!)

mitch@batcomputer.tn.cornell.edu (Mitch Collinsworth) (02/13/88)

In article <2530@crash.cts.com> jeh@crash.CTS.COM (Jamie Hanrahan) writes:
>>How does one go about getting the protocols specifications for DECNET.
>>Is there a published technical document? ...

>Yup!  Here they are.  This list was compiled by  Bob Tinkelman
>and posted on DECUServe.)
>Note that, unlike MSCP and etc., DEC doesn't mind if you implement
>these protocols on other systems.

On which side of the fence does LAT fall?  Do they mind and are there
protocol manuals available for LAT?

-Mitch Collinsworth
 mitch@tcgould.tn.cornell.edu

pdb@sei.cmu.edu (Patrick Barron) (02/13/88)

In article <3708@batcomputer.tn.cornell.edu> mitch@tcgould.tn.cornell.edu (Mitch Collinsworth) writes:
>On which side of the fence does LAT fall?  Do they mind and are there
>protocol manuals available for LAT?

Last time I asked this of someone at DEC, I was told that the LAT protocol
was strictly proprietary, and that it was hard even for people inside DEC
to get hold of the spec.

--Pat.

campbell@maynard.BSW.COM (Larry Campbell) (02/14/88)

From article <3708@batcomputer.tn.cornell.edu>, by mitch@batcomputer.tn.cornell.edu (Mitch Collinsworth):
> In article <2530@crash.cts.com> jeh@crash.CTS.COM (Jamie Hanrahan) writes:

>>Note that, unlike MSCP and etc., DEC doesn't mind if you implement
>>these protocols on other systems.

> On which side of the fence does LAT fall?  Do they mind and are there
> protocol manuals available for LAT?

Yes, they mind, and no, there aren't.  A few companies have reverse engineered
the LAT protocols, but I'm pretty sure that if DEC thought that any of
their employees had ever had access to the LAT specs (i.e., former DEC
employees) those companies would be looking at the wrong end of a lawsuit.
--
Larry Campbell                                The Boston Software Works, Inc.
Internet: campbell@maynard.bsw.com          120 Fulton Street, Boston MA 02109

LEICHTER@VENUS.YCC.YALE.EDU ("Jerry Leichter ", LEICHTER-JERRY@CS.YALE.EDU) (02/20/88)

	>Note that, unlike MSCP and etc., DEC doesn't mind if you implement
	>these protocols on other systems.

	On which side of the fence does LAT fall?  Do they mind and are there
	protocol manuals available for LAT?

The other side; LAT is proprietary and undocumented.  (However, it's been
reverse-engineered at least twice for various PC products.)

							-- Jerry

ian@lassen.SGI.COM (Ian Clements) (02/26/88)

In article <8802251608.AA27038@ucbvax.Berkeley.EDU>, LEICHTER@VENUS.YCC.YALE.EDU ("Jerry Leichter ", LEICHTER-JERRY@CS.YALE.EDU) writes:

> The other side; LAT is proprietary and undocumented.  (However, it's been
> reverse-engineered at least twice for various PC products.)

 DEC gave a seminar in which a fairly technical presentation was given WRT
LAT and MOP.  Documents were distributed that gave an overview (very general)
of the talk.  This was at the San Francisco DECUS Pre-Symposium confrence.

	Ian