[comp.os.vms] UU encode/decode for VMS .obj and exe files.

VAUGHAN@CANISIUS.BITNET (Tom Vaughan @ Computer Center) (02/04/88)

Where, if any exist, can I obtain uuencode and uudecode for vms?  Here is the
rub, it has to be able to code and decode  object and executable files.
Thi sto be doone is such a way that they are fully reconstructed after
decodeing, and again are linkable or runable images.

I will need the source code if possible.

Please let me know... thanks in advance!

Tom Vaughan
Programmer/Analyst
Canisius College

BITNET : vaughan@canisius                CSNET  :  vaughan%canisius@CSNET-relay
UUCP   : ..!{ames,boulder,decvax,rutgers}!sunybcs!canisius!vaughan
US MAIL:  Thomas Vaughan/ Computer Center / Canisius College/
          2001 Main St./ Buffalo N.Y. 14208

-------

jdc@naucse.UUCP (John Campbell) (02/13/88)

In article <8802121249.AA22879@ucbvax.Berkeley.EDU>, VAUGHAN@CANISIUS.BITNET (Tom Vaughan @ Computer Center) writes:

> Where, if any exist, can I obtain uuencode and uudecode for vms?  Here is the

and

 in article <207@sdrc.UUCP>, scjones@sdrc.UUCP (Larry Jones) writes:

>Here it is!
>
>The following is the uuencoded VAX/VMS version of System Enhancements
>Associates' ARC V5.12.  This is just the executable ...

                                 PART I

I was able to take Larry's ARC file off with the uuencode/uudecode that
was posted a while back to a unix group on VMS.  In other words, if you
have a 'C' compiler then the uuencode available on the net will work on
VMS.  Of course, I ended up with the wrong file attributes and had to
use ANALYZE/FDL, EDIT/FDL, and CONVERT/FDL to put the EXE files back
into a fixed length 512 format.  If you can't find uuencode/uudecode on
the net, and we can establish an email path, then I could mail you my
copies.

                                 PART II

I think we shouldn't send EXE files.  If you don't want to send the
actual code (and I guess there are reasons), why not send the OBJ file?
A while back the C RTL was reorganized, causing EXE files to no longer be
backwards compatible.  If the user had an OBJ file then they could just
relink and run on older and newer operating system.  I worry that at
some future release of VMS my ARC users won't be able to get to their files...

This is not a flame, I really wanted ARC so thanks Larry.  Do others agree,
however, that it would be best to send 1) *source*, 2) *object* files?  Am
I missing something?
--
	John Campbell               ...!arizona!naucse!jdc

	unix?  Sure send me a dozen, all different colors.

tsf@arizona.edu (Ted Frohling) (02/13/88)

I got a copy of ARC for vms off the net and used a local Unix machine to
do the uudecoding, although I forgot I had uudecode for VMS avail.  After
uudecoding it I Ftp'd it to the VMS system in binary format of course.
Then set up a symbol arc == "$sys$disk:[]arc" and used it.  VMS doesn't
need to have executable files in fixed length 512 byte records.  The image
activator just has to find the right bytes in the right place in the file
header portion of the binary bits.  I agree that we should ALWAYS try
to get the source code.  There are too many viruses floating around for
PCs and it surprises me that VMS hasn't been attacked more than it has
with such tripe.  John Campbel @ naucse.UUCP is right about moving objects
around tho.  The author of ARC for VMS may have been forced not to distribute
source for the program as I don't think System Enhancement Associates
distributes code for the MSDOS version of the program.
.

terry@wsccs.UUCP (terry) (02/26/88)

In article <8802121249.AA22879@ucbvax.Berkeley.EDU>, VAUGHAN@CANISIUS.BITNET (Tom Vaughan @ Computer Center) writes:

> Where, if any exist, can I obtain uuencode and uudecode for vms?

	There are a number of them.  Contact dave or val off of wsccs (see
my address below); they may have one.

> Here is the
> rub, it has to be able to code and decode  object and executable files.
> Thi sto be doone is such a way that they are fully reconstructed after
> decodeing, and again are linkable or runable images.

	No rub.  Just use backup before sending them, and make them
streamable through use of CONVERT.  You can backup anything... if you
can't, submit a SPR to DEC (:-)).

| Terry Lambert           UUCP: ...!decvax!utah-cs!century!terry              |
| @ Century Software       or : ...utah-cs!uplherc!sp7040!obie!wsccs!terry    |
| SLC, Utah                                                                   |
|                   These opinions are not my companies, but if you find them |
|                   useful, send a $20.00 donation to Brisbane Australia...   |
| 'There are monkey boys in the facility.  Do not be alarmed; you are secure' |