[comp.os.vms] Need TERMTABLE for Televideo 925

news@udenva.cair.du.edu (netnews) (02/14/88)

Could someone please send me a copy of the TERMTABLE for Televideo 925's
and inform me how to install it (as a foreign terminal). We are currently
running VMS Ver. 4.6.

I would like to see reverse-video, clear-screen etc. as well as commands
like type/page, monitor and mail work just like they work on VT100's.
Thanks in advance,

--

Shyam Mariwala
USENET: {hplabs, seismo}!hao!udenva!smariwal

terry@wsccs.UUCP (terry) (02/26/88)

In article <9800@udenva.cair.du.edu>, news@udenva.cair.du.edu (netnews) writes:
> I would like to see reverse-video, clear-screen etc. as well as commands
> like type/page, monitor and mail work just like they work on VT100's.

	Afraid you're dreaming.  The 925, like the 912, 910, Wyse-50,30,etc
has what is known to the UNIX world as SG#1... standout glitch, 1 character.

	What this means to you, the poor victim of an SG terminal saleman, is
that it is impossible to do reverse video, underlining, etc.  without using up
a space on the screen to turn them on and off.  You may have realized that this
is not supported in TERMTABLE, which seems to have no reasonable equivalent to
the SG#1 UG#1 series of attributes supported by termcap under UNIX.  This means
that if you can find an unused key and name it select, it still won't highlight
correctly.  There _is_ a 'sorta' workaround:  the terminals mentioned almost
invariably support a protect mode (dim) attribute that allows the user to set
this single attribute without taking up space.  It works, but looks funny.
The Wyse-50 allows you to redefine 'dim' ad 'reverse', but that still leaves
out all other forms of highlighting.

	As far as clear screen, etc. go, they should work ok, but don't
depend on even Digital always using TERMTABLE... TPU, for instance...

		:-(

| Terry Lambert           UUCP: ...!decvax!utah-cs!century!terry              |
| @ Century Software       or : ...utah-cs!uplherc!sp7040!obie!wsccs!terry    |
| SLC, Utah                                                                   |
|                   These opinions are not my companies, but if you find them |
|                   useful, send a $20.00 donation to Brisbane Australia...   |
| 'There are monkey boys in the facility.  Do not be alarmed; you are secure' |