[net.dcom] phone line hits: who to blame?

dfh@ecsvax.UUCP (David Hinnant) (06/26/85)

I'm having a random disconnect problem, and don't know who to blame.
I dial in from home (Sothern Bell) to work (GTE) at night.  It's a local
call.  I get bumped an average of once an hour, at random intervals on an
otherwise flawless line (though I do have to dial in 2 or 3 times before I
get a perfectly noiseless line).

If after a bump I switch off my modem and pick up the phone.  I hear one of
three different sounds:

	(1) A busy signal
	(2) A trunk (fast) busy sinal
	(3) A dial tone

If I get (1) or (2) does that mean GTE knocked me off?
If I get (3) I assume Sothern Bell did the dirty deed.  Correct?

I get (1) most of the time.  Will GTE listen to me if I complain, or do
they do line testing late at night and don't care which lines they hit?

						David Hinnant
						SCI Systems, Inc.
						(919) 549-8334
						...decvax!mcnc!ecsvax!dfh

ken@turtlevax.UUCP (Ken Turkowski) (06/27/85)

In article <1526@ecsvax.UUCP> dfh@ecsvax.UUCP (David Hinnant) writes:
>I'm having a random disconnect problem, and don't know who to blame.
>I dial in from home (Sothern Bell) to work (GTE) at night.  It's a local
>call.  I get bumped an average of once an hour, at random intervals on an
>otherwise flawless line (though I do have to dial in 2 or 3 times before I
>get a perfectly noiseless line).
>
>If after a bump I switch off my modem and pick up the phone.  I hear one of
>three different sounds:
>
>	(1) A busy signal
>	(2) A trunk (fast) busy sinal
>	(3) A dial tone

I don't know about your specific problem, but I had problems with my
modem before it was grounded.  Check your outlet to make sure it is
grounded, and if it isn't, either rewire the outlet, or run an extra
ground wire to the modem.
--

Ken Turkowski @ CADLINC, Menlo Park, CA
UUCP: {amd,decwrl,hplabs,nsc,seismo,spar}!turtlevax!ken