[comp.os.vms] non-DEC terminals on VMS

dhaskin@lucy.wellesley.EDU (Denis Haskin) (02/16/88)

VMS (Karl Denninger and dehildum@ucdavis.ucdavis.edu) and specifically looking
for an editor to use with non-DEC terminals (Robert J. Wright
<R_WRIGHT@mail.uwa.oz>):

For new applications, dehildum@ucdavis is correct that VMS does support
'non-DIGITAL' terminals and that this is well documented in the RTL manual
(volume 8B, pp. 3-27 - 3-49) and that this is probably the tool of choice.
However, to take advantage of the TERMTABLE.TXT definitions, a program must
use the SMG$ calls to handle the screen.  Unfortunately, neither EDT nor
TPU use SMG, so although one can create a TERMTABLE.TXT entry for a foreign
terminal, it doesn't do diddly for either of VMS' supported editors.

Almost a year ago I asked Colorado about TPU and TERMTABLE.TXT.  They responded
that TPU uses direct escape codes "for efficiency," as opposed to going
through the SMG$ package.  I vote that TPU can go ahead an use those escape
codes if the terminal is defined as a VT200_Series, but if it's something
else, use SMG.  DEC is being a poor role model for everyone else with this
"do as I say, not as I do" business.  In fact, TPU is about the most
*inefficient* package I've seen when it comes to screen handling.  For a
dramatic demonstration, try both Gnu Emacs (which, BTW, allows you to fully
support any foreign terminal) and TPU on a 1200 baud line.  Don't get me
wrong; I *love* TPU.  But only if I'm sitting at a VT200 or 300 with a 4800+
baud line...

Robert Wright, your best bet for a screen-based editor that will work with
funky terminals is probably some flavor of Emacs.  Let me know if you need
an address for the Gnu people (and please, let's not start another trail
of drivel about the FSF!).

Ciao -

Denis W. Haskin, Network Manager
Wellesley College                   DHaskin@Lucy.Wellesley.Edu
Wellesley, MA  02181                Denis@Bambam.Wellesley.Edu
617-235-0320 x3123

jdc@naucse.UUCP (John Campbell) (02/22/88)

In article <8802202348.AA24632@ucbvax.Berkeley.EDU>, dhaskin@lucy.wellesley.EDU (Denis Haskin) writes:
> VMS (Karl Denninger and dehildum@ucdavis.ucdavis.edu) and specifically looking
> for an editor to use with non-DEC terminals (Robert J. Wright
> <R_WRIGHT@mail.uwa.oz>):
>
> ... Unfortunately, neither EDT nor
> TPU use SMG, so although one can create a TERMTABLE.TXT entry for a foreign
> terminal, it doesn't do diddly for either of VMS' supported editors.

> Robert Wright, your best bet for a screen-based editor that will work with
> funky terminals is probably some flavor of Emacs.

I guess it's time to admit that I have developed an SMG based editor (which
therefore runs on foreign terminals).  The editor is named NED (NAU Editor)
and is not public domain.  It was developed under a grant from DEC as part
of a set of writing tools to help students learn the writing process.  The
good news is that I am in the processes of sending out beta versions of
the NAUWriter package (NED is its main component).

I could say a lot more about the whole thing, but that might be construed
as advertisement.  Let me just say that EMACS is a lot more powerful, has
a much larger following, and is public domain.  If, however, you want
an editor/writing system that is simple to use (we user Ned exclusively
with beginners, the editor looks alot like EVE), you could send email to
me requesting information about becoming a beta site for NAUWriter.

Thanks.

--
	John Campbell               ...!arizona!naucse!jdc

	unix?  Sure send me a dozen, all different colors.

gregg@a.cs.okstate.edu (Gregg Wonderly) (03/08/88)

I believe that you should look for VMS 5.0's TPU to support TERMTABLE.TXT.
The /DISPLAY qualifier of EDIT/TPU/DISPLAY will accept a string that
is the name of a shareable image that is mapped by TPU to do device
dependent display activity.  Currently, there is no documentation for the
interface, other than the mention of the qualifying string in the manual.
One could, I suppose, use the fiche to discover the interface, and write
the proper code (nobody has ever done this before, right :-) :-)).

Gregg Wonderly
Department of Mathematics
Oklahoma State University

UUCP:      {cbosgd, ihnp4, rutgers}!okstate!nemo.math.okstate.edu!gregg
Internet:  gregg@NEMO.MATH.OKSTATE.EDU