[comp.os.vms] backup utility

fsimmons@umn-d-ub.D.UMN.EDU (Frank Simmons) (03/08/88)

 I have 2 questions:

  1) is it possible to list the contents of a tape without having written
     the tape?

  2) is it possible to extract a file from the tape without having put it
     there to begin with?

    I continually get tapes written in BACKUP format with no clue as to
    the command(s) used to prepare the tape.

whitfill@hc.DSPO.GOV (Jim Whitfill) (03/09/88)

in article <256@umn-d-ub.D.UMN.EDU>, fsimmons@umn-d-ub.D.UMN.EDU (Frank Simmons) says:

>  I have 2 questions:
>
>   1) is it possible to list the contents of a tape without having written
>      the tape?

You should be able to (as user SYSTEM) do a:

backup/list mfa0:

This should show you the header, which includes the command used to create
the tape.

>   2) is it possible to extract a file from the tape without having put it
>      there to begin with?
>
>     I continually get tapes written in BACKUP format with no clue as to
>     the command(s) used to prepare the tape.

You should be able to extract any file from a backup tape (as SYSTEM)
whether or not you put it there.

backup mta0:name/select=[directory]file *

                   =======================================
                               Jim A. Whitfill
                    Los Alamos National Laboratory (LANL)
                            Group MEE-10, MS J580
                             Los Alamos, NM 87545
                                (505) 667-9282

                 (ARPAnet ==> whitfill%meediv.xnet@lanl.gov)
                   =======================================

helen@uhccux.UUCP (Helen Rapozo) (03/10/88)

In article <256@umn-d-ub.D.UMN.EDU> fsimmons@umn-d-ub.D.UMN.EDU (Frank Simmons) writes:

> I have 2 questions:
>
>  1) is it possible to list the contents of a tape without having written
>     the tape?

Sure, you can do this:

	BACKUP/LIST=file tapedev:/save

	where file is a filename that will store the tape list, you can
	opt not to put the "=file" part after the list, in which case
	it will go to the terminal.

	tapedev: is your tape device name.  Ours is MUA0: for either
	a TK-50 or a TU-81+, but it might be different for other
	types of tape drives.  I have seen MTA0: on other sites.

>  2) is it possible to extract a file from the tape without having put it
>     there to begin with?

I guess so.  You may not get anything back from this type of restore.
I guess what you are asking is does VMS complain if you try to restore
a file from a saveset and that file is not in that saveset.  If that is
what you are asking, well VMS will not say nothing.  Even if you do
a BACKUP/LOG it will report nothing from this type of restore.

>    I continually get tapes written in BACKUP format with no clue as to
>    the command(s) used to prepare the tape.

When you do a BACKUP/LIST the begining part of that list will have
a section of how that saveset was done, with even the actual
command that did it.