[comp.os.vms] VMS KERMIT

fsimmons@umn-d-ub.D.UMN.EDU (Frank Simmons) (02/27/88)

 Can VMS KERMIT run with an initialization file? IF so what is it called and
 where should it be located?

carl@CITHEX.CALTECH.EDU (Carl J Lydick) (03/02/88)

 >  Can VMS KERMIT run with an initialization file? IF so what is it called and
 >  where should it be located?

VMS Kermit-32 version 3.1.066  looks for the file VMSKERMIT.INI in your
current default directory for initialization.

labovitz%etd1.DECnet@AFWAL-AAA.ARPA ("ETD1::LABOVITZ") (03/02/88)

>Date: 26 Feb 88 22:21:46 GMT
>From: fsimmons@ub.d.umn.edu  (Frank Simmons)
>Subject: VMS KERMIT
>Sender: info-vax-request@kl.sri.com
>To: info-vax@kl.sri.com
>

> Can VMS KERMIT run with an initialization file? IF so what is it called and
> where should it be located?

VMS KERMIT (otherwise known as KERMIT-32) does not automatically take an
initialization file, as far as I remember.  However, you can use the TAKE
command (as in TAKE filename.type ) to process a personalized initialization
sequence.  Since KERMIT-32 is no longer being refined, you may wish to move
over to C-KERMIT 4E(070), dated 29 Jan 88, which does operate under VMS and
which will automatically process the initialization file sys$login:KERMIT.INI
upon entry.  You can obtain the source files for C-KERMIT 4E(070) from Columbia
University (internet host cu20b.columbia.edu, anonymous login, files are
in K2:), or I can send you a VMS_SHAR set of the sources.

				LT Stuart L Labovitz
				USAF Avionics Laboratory
			arpa:	Labovitz%Etd2.decnet@Afwal-aaa.arpa

    Minds of the strongest and most active powers fall below mediocrity and
    labor without effect, if confined to uncongenial pursuits.  And it is
    thence to be inferred, that the results of human exertion may be
    immensely increased by diversifying its objects.
					    -----  Alexander Hamilton
------

sdowdy@charon.unm.edu (Stephen Dowdy) (03/07/88)

In article <880302023027.1a4c@CitHex.Caltech.Edu> carl@CITHEX.CALTECH.EDU (Carl J Lydick) writes:

> >  Can VMS KERMIT run with an initialization file? IF so what is it called and
> >  where should it be located?
>
>VMS Kermit-32 version 3.1.066  looks for the file VMSKERMIT.INI in your
>current default directory for initialization.

If you dump the KERMIT executable, you'll see in one of the first few blocks
what appears to be a PARSE spec with VMSKERMIT and .INI as file specs.
You can define VMSKERMIT to be any file you like, and Kermit will try to open
PARSE("VMSKERMIT",".INI"), which will find your file first as VMSKERMIT will
be translated via TRNLNM.  So,  Here at UNM we have the following defined:

$ Define/System	VMSKERMIT SYS$SYSROOT:[SYSFOREIGN.KERMIT]VMSKERMIT.INI

Kermit, by default, will then open the system defined file and not the one
in your current directory.  A user may override the system definition via:

$ Define/Process VMSKERMIT MY_DIR:KERMIT.INIT

This allows the most flexibility, and helps to ensure, at least for our site,
that an unknowledgeable user will be configured with the "standard" kermit
parameters that optimize transfer over our network.  (and will function with
our help desk's standard Micro Distribution disk MSKERMIT.INI files)

--stephen
--
$!#######################################################################
$! stephen dowdy (UNM CIRT) Albuquerque, New Mexico, 87131 (505) 277-8044

u3369429@ucsvc.dn.mu.oz (Michael Bednarek) (03/08/88)

In article <8803061034.AA29037@ucbvax.Berkeley.EDU>, labovitz%etd1.DECnet@AFWAL-AAA.ARPA ("ETD1::LABOVITZ") writes:
>>Date: 26 Feb 88 22:21:46 GMT
>>From: fsimmons@ub.d.umn.edu  (Frank Simmons)
>>Subject: VMS KERMIT
>>Sender: info-vax-request@kl.sri.com
>>To: info-vax@kl.sri.com
>>

>> Can VMS KERMIT run with an initialization file? IF so what is it called and
>> where should it be located?
>>

> VMS KERMIT (otherwise known as KERMIT-32) does not automatically take an
> initialization file, as far as I remember.  However, you can use the TAKE
> command (as in TAKE filename.type ) to process a personalized initialization
> sequence.  Since KERMIT-32 is no longer being refined, you may wish to move
> over to C-KERMIT 4E(070), dated 29 Jan 88, which does operate under VMS and
> which will automatically process the initialization file sys$login:KERMIT.INI
> upon entry.  You can obtain the source files for C-KERMIT 4E(070) from Columbia
> University (internet host cu20b.columbia.edu, anonymous login, files are
> in K2:), or I can send you a VMS_SHAR set of the sources.
>
> 				LT Stuart L Labovitz
> 				USAF Avionics Laboratory
> 			arpa:	Labovitz%Etd2.decnet@Afwal-aaa.arpa
>
>     Minds of the strongest and most active powers fall below mediocrity and
>     labor without effect, if confined to uncongenial pursuits.  And it is
>     thence to be inferred, that the results of human exertion may be
>     immensely increased by diversifying its objects.
> 					    -----  Alexander Hamilton
> ------

u3369429@ucsvc.dn.mu.oz (Michael Bednarek) (03/08/88)

Sorry for my previous posting re:"VMS KERMIT"subject. VMS-NETNEWS teething ...

   [ this came from article <228@umn-d-ub.D.UMN.EDU> ]
>> Can VMS KERMIT run with an initialization file? IF so what is it called and
>> where should it be located?
>
> VMS KERMIT (otherwise known as KERMIT-32) does not automatically take an
> initialization file, as far as I remember.

	Wrong.

and in <880302023027.1a4c@CitHex.Caltech.Edu>
carl@CITHEX.CALTECH.EDU (Carl J Lydick) wrote:
>VMS Kermit-32 version 3.1.066  looks for the file VMSKERMIT.INI in your
>current default directory for initialization.

	Almost.

	Here is the relevant part from KERMIT.BLI:
! 3.1.056	By: Nick Bush				On: 28-August-1984
!		Add a TAKE (or @) command.  Also perform an initialization
!		file on startup.  This file is either VMSKERMIT.INI or
!		whatever file is pointed to by the logical name VMSKERMIT.
	This is -- as far as I know -- nowhere else documented.
	"May the Source (even if it's in BLISS) be with you"
--
Michael Bednarek, Institute of Applied Economic and Social Research (IAESR)
   //  Melbourne University,Parkville 3052, AUSTRALIA, Phone:+61 3 344 5744

terry@wsccs.UUCP (terry) (03/12/88)

In article <48@ucsvc.dn.mu.oz>, Michael Bednarek writes:
> Sorry for my previous posting re:"VMS KERMIT"subject. VMS-NETNEWS teething ...

	Send us a copy or info on where to get a copy.  It can teethe here,
too.  This will save dave and val hours porting.

> 	"May the Source (even if it's in BLISS) be with you"

	BLISS is ignorance. ;-)

| Terry Lambert           UUCP: ...!decvax!utah-cs!century!terry              |
| @ Century Software       or : ...utah-cs!uplherc!sp7040!obie!wsccs!terry    |
| SLC, Utah                                                                   |
|                   These opinions are not my companies, but if you find them |
|                   useful, send a $20.00 donation to Brisbane Australia...   |
| 'There are monkey boys in the facility.  Do not be alarmed; you are secure' |