[comp.os.vms] Help us defend [against???] VMS!

rang%cps45x@CPSWH.CPS.MSU.EDU (Anton Rang) (03/15/88)

  Well, I've been following this discussion without comment for a
while, but finally decided it was time to add my $0.02.  In article
<676@kuling.UUCP>, Bo Thide writes:

>Well, I just got my FPA installed in my HP9000/350 (multi-user HP-UX)
>turning this 4 MIPS machine (4.7 times VAX integer, they say)
>into a 3.5 MWhets number cruncher.  This is an amazing speed at
>an amazingly low total price (less than the equivalent of $50k for the lot).
>I am just now installing an Ariel FFT processor (at $1,600) to improve
>the speed even further (1024 point complex FFT in 9 ms, 256 point real
>FFT in less tan 1 ms).
>
>Similar workstations are available from Sun, Apollo, Masscomp and others.
>This just shows that today's personal "super"-workstations have turned
>traditional minis (like the VAXen) obsolete.

  I agree that "super-workstations" are great for doing arithmetic,
both integer & floating-point.  There are a lot of reasons to stick
with VAXen for some applications, though:

  1.  DEC's compilers typically do a *much* better job of optimizing
      than a UNIX compiler on a workstation.  Unless you write in
      assembly, a lot of MIPS can be wasted by poor code.

  2.  The I/O bandwidth of workstations is often too low for
      I/O-intensive applications.  The UNIX philosophy of "let the
      user manage his file structure" compounds this problem.

  3.  VMS provides a rich set of library routines, and an easy means
      of upgrading without recompilation (shareable libraries).  Of
      course, you can always write your own.

  4.  (Personal opinion) VMS has a much better user interface, and
      much better compilers (e.g. extensions/error detection/library
      handling etc.).  There are probably lots of people who disagree
      with this, of course...

One last general note, which doesn't really have to do with this:
I heard (at the ACM convention last month) that VMS runs the "typical"
program 1.8 times faster than either BSD or Ultrix (on a VAX).  I
don't know what the "typical" program is, though I suspect it involves
a mix of both I/O and computation.

<Disclaimer: all opinions & mistakes are my own.>

					Anton Rang
					Graduate Student
					Michigan State University