[comp.os.vms] Need benchmarking wisdom

dipto@umbc3.UMD.EDU (Dipto Chakravarty) (03/12/88)

                     Benchmarking programs needed

We are in need of benchmarking programs for various types of workstations
that are currently under evaluation + study. I need to get some enlightenment
in this topic of benchmarking. Of whatever little I know of benchmarks, it
appears that there are a variety of public domain benchmarks that are
available.

I will try to give some outline of what we need, hereunder.

(1) A floating-point based bench mark is required for a Microvax II running
    VMS 4.7.  We want to test it against a 11/785 and a 8600 machine. It will
    be nice if I could get the src code or the .EXE file(s) for Application
    oriented, Disc access oriented and CPU intensive benchmarks.

    I have heard that in addition to public domain benchmarking programs,
    there are source codes available, such as 'Wet-stone' (spelling?), for
    evaluating floating point based applications. Can someone kindly e-mail
    me the source code(s) for such standard routines?

(2) A floating point based and disc access based benchmark for a Sun station
    running 4.2 BSD Unix and 2.1 DEC Ultrix will also be needed.

Readers, I do understand that my specifications mentioned above, could be
little off or vague. But, bare it with me; this is my first experience with
benchmarks. Thanks to all for taking the time to read this article.

Kindly send me e-mail directly, as I am not a regular reader of all the groups
where this is getting posted.

--
BITNET : dipto@umbc2	      ------\
ARPANET: dipto@umbc3.UMD.EDU  -------> In-real-life: Dipto Chakravarty

carl@CITHEX.CALTECH.EDU (Carl J Lydick) (03/14/88)

 > Readers, I do understand that my specifications mentioned above, could be
 > little off or vague. But, bare it with me; this is my first experience with
 > benchmarks. Thanks to all for taking the time to read this article.

I'm afraid I can't help you by sending benchmark  programs  or  references  to
them, but I can, perhaps, give you some useful advice regarding benchmarking.

Any benchmarking program makes assumptions about the mix of instructions to be
used on  a  machine, about the level of optimization users of that machine are
likely to make, etc.  It's my experience that  these  assumptions  are  ALWAYS
wrong, at least to some extent, and generally to a major extent.

For example, in benchmark floating-point tests, a 780 with 4 MB of memory will
generally  beat  a  750  with  8  MB  of  memory.  Now, put 4 physicists doing
monte-carlo simulations on each of  the  machines.   Since  it's  against  the
principles  of a physicist to know anything about using a computer efficiently
(I've been managing VAXen used by physicists for several  years,  so  I  speak
from  experience),  each  of  these users will be doing calculations involving
data scattered over at least 500 pages of memory, with the code scattered over
an  additional  500  pages  (even  if the total length of the code involved is
about 1Kbyte and all of the data being used within a 5-minute period  is  only
about  20Kbytes).  This makes 1MB of memory being used by each of the 4 users.
VMS takes up another 2 MB.  On the 780, this means  we're  exceeding  physical
memory by 50%, and the computer spends up to 40% of its time  paging.  On  the
750, we've still got 2 MB left over, so there's no  page  faulting  going  on.
The result is that the 750 runs significantly faster than the 780.

The moral of this story is, DON'T TRUST STANDARD BENCHMARKS.  Write a suite of
programs that simulates your actual load, and use them for benchmarking.

gkn@SDS.SDSC.EDU (Gerard K. Newman) (03/16/88)

	From:	 carl@CitHex.Caltech.Edu (Carl J Lydick)
	Subject: Re: Need benchmarking wisdom
	Date:	 Mon, 14 Mar 88 03:28:27 PST

	...  Now, put 4 physicists doing monte-carlo simulations on each of the machines.
	Since it's against the principles of a physicist to know anything about using a
	computer efficiently (I've been managing VAXen used by physicists for several
	years, so I speak from experience) ...

They don't do much better at designing networks, either.

gkn
Internet: GKN@SDS.SDSC.EDU
Bitnet:   GKN@SDSC
Span:	  SDSC::GKN (27.1)