[comp.os.vms] VAX MAIL -- Has anyone been able to figure out the file format?

mithomas@bsu-cs.UUCP (Michael Thomas Niehaus) (03/14/88)

Has anyone been able to figure out what kind of layout is used for the
VAX MAIL file.  I know the structure that ANAL/RMS gives me, but that doesn't
tell me how everything is used, indexed, etc.  If anyone has any experience in
reading (that's all I want to do) the file directly, I would appreciate hearing
from you.  Also, if anyone has some source code that demonstrates this, could
you please send it to me (as long as it is legal).

Thanks for the help,
Michael Niehaus
Ball State University
UUCP: ..!{uunet,pur-ee,iuvax}!bsu-cs!mithomas

terry@wsccs.UUCP (terry) (03/23/88)

In article <2354@bsu-cs.UUCP>, mithomas@bsu-cs.UUCP (Michael Thomas Niehaus) writes:
> Has anyone been able to figure out what kind of layout is used for the
> VAX MAIL file.

There are anumber of sources.  You would probably be most happy with the
description in the Microfiche sources for VMS.  Barring that, you should try
to get an FDL for the file.  It uses an obscure (custom) RMS format.  In
addition, I think it intentionally tries to confuse people by scrambling
them, anyway.

What you really want to look at is the SYS$ calls to do the stuff for you,
in the system sevices reference manual.

					terry@wsccs