[comp.os.vms] 1-user restriction for VAXserver 35

heisterb@uxe.cso.uiuc.edu (03/23/88)

/* Written  4:28 am  Mar 18, 1988 by ZWARTS@HGRRUG51.BITNET in uxe.cso.uiuc.edu:comp.os.vms */
/* ---------- "1-user restriction for VAXserver 35" ---------- */
Hello,

     [stuff]

1) Is it true that the single-user license is enforced by the hardware?

2) If true, is it possible to upgrade to a multi-user system?

3) Is the single-user restriction also restricting users with OPER priv? E.g.

4) How is a single-user defined? Is it possible to have several sessions (with
different usernames) in different windows when using VWS(UIS)?

        F. Zwarts                               Phone:          (+31)50-633619
        Kernfysisch Versneller Instituut        Bitnet/Earn:    ZWARTS@HGRRUG51
        Zernikelaan 25                          Surfnet:        KVIANA::ZWARTS
        9747 AA  Groningen                      Telefax:        (+31)50-634003
        The Netherlands                         Telex:          53410 rugro nl
/* End of text from uxe.cso.uiuc.edu:comp.os.vms */

The single user license is enforced by the software (and DEC's lawyers),
specifically LOGINOUT.EXE.  The extra bit of hardware just lets the system
know that you're a vaxstation, not a microvax.  Note that patching LOGINOUT
(or yanking the chip if you dare) violates your license.

So far DEC says NO! to upgrading.  Look at the price difference between a
vaxstation and a microvax.  Wow!

I've run into cases where I could not log in as system.  I really hate that,
but don't see any way around it.  I mean a group of cooperating users could
all have OPER or SYSPRV, or what have you to bypass the restriction.

You can get up to three people on a 2 user license in some cases.  I think the
order was 1) Joe logs in on a display window, 2) system logs in elsewhere,
3) Mary can log in on a display window.  But don't quote me on that.  I've yet
to run into a limit on the number of times I can log in as myself.

We're getting a vaxserver 3600 soon (two weeks and counting, yea!) and I
suppose we will keep everyone OFF except system.  What seems like an
acceptable solution is to use an old black & white vaxstation (mine!)
bought before the ban on multi-user licenses as a "window" into the LAVC
for the folks without a workstation.  Oh, at least the server can run as
many batch jobs as you like.

We have much work to do in the "discussions" with DEC on multi-user licenses.
I think they're a bit greedier than they've a right to be.

DJ Heisterberg
National Center for Superconfusing Applications
heisterb@uiucuxe.uiuc.edu
13004@ncsaa.ncsa.edu
13004@ncsavmsa.BITNET
NCSA::13004

tada@athena.mit.edu (Michael Zehr) (03/25/88)

In article <62500008@uxe.cso.uiuc.edu> heisterb@uxe.cso.uiuc.edu writes:
> ZWARTS@HGRRUG51.BITNET writes:
>>1) Is it true that the single-user license is enforced by the hardware?
>>2) If true, is it possible to upgrade to a multi-user system?
>>3) Is the single-user restriction also restricting users with OPER priv? E.g.
>>4) How is a single-user defined? Is it possible to have several sessions
>>   (with different usernames) in different windows when using VWS(UIS)?
>
>The single user license is enforced by the software (and DEC's lawyers),
>specifically LOGINOUT.EXE.  The extra bit of hardware just lets the system
>know that you're a vaxstation, not a microvax.  Note that patching LOGINOUT
>(or yanking the chip if you dare) violates your license.
>
>So far DEC says NO! to upgrading.  Look at the price difference between a
>vaxstation and a microvax.  Wow!
>
>You can get up to three people on a 2 user license in some cases.
> [example]

I'm quite certain about this, but not positive:

DEC's old minimum license for vaxstations was 2-users.  Nowadays, they call
that 1-user, but it's the same.  2-users means the display screen plus one
other user.  1-user means one user, the display doesn't count.  In both
cases, you can have any number of people logged in through a separate window
on the display screen.

Another point to note, under some versions of VMS (4.5C at least) using a
LAVC, you can get as many people as you want through a terminal server.  I'm
not sure if the same applies to set hosts from another machine.  The reason
is the accounting used to determine number of users.  Terminal server
sessions are virtual terminals, so they don't count as "real" users.  I'm
not sure when or if DEC has changed that in VMS.

-------
michael j zehr
"My opinions are my own ... as is my spelling."