[comp.os.vms] Starting up default windows on my VaxStation 2000 under VMS 4.7

simpsong@ncoast.UUCP (Gregory R. Simpson @ The North Coast) (03/24/88)

Does anybody have a good way to Log on to a VaxStation 2000 running
VMS 4.7, and the VWS UIS based windowing system, and immediately
start up the n number of windows that I always want in the place I
want them?

i.e. When I first log on in the morning, I like to create 3 windows
in specific locations on the screen... Is there a way I can just
login once, and via my login.com the other two windows will be
created where I want them?

Thanks for any ideas,

Greg

---
      Gregory R. Simpson

Prefered  Internet: SIMPSONG%ATD1.decnet@ge-crd.arpa
or
Alternate Internet: necntc!ncoast!simpsong@harvard.HARVARD.EDU

UUCP: <BACKBONE>!cbosgd!ncoast!simpsong
UUCP: {ames,mit-eddie,harvard,talcott}!necntc!ncoast!simpsong
UUCP: {well,sun,pyramid,ihnp4}!hoptoad!ncoast!simpsong
--
---

CSNET: ncoast!simpsong@CWRU.EDU (CSnet)
Subject: Starting up default windows on my VaxStation 2000 under VMS 4.7
Newsgroups: comp.os.vms

hydrovax@nmtsun.nmt.edu (M. Warner Losh) (03/27/88)

In article <7544@ncoast.UUCP> simpsong@ncoast.UUCP (Gregory R. Simpson @ The North Coast) writes:

>Does anybody have a good way to Log on to a VaxStation 2000 running
>VMS 4.7, and the VWS UIS based windowing system, and immediately
>start up the n number of windows that I always want in the place I
>want them?
>
>i.e. When I first log on in the morning, I like to create 3 windows
>in specific locations on the screen... Is there a way I can just
>login once, and via my login.com the other two windows will be
>created where I want them?

Greg,
  what you need to have is a copy of the NEW_WINDOWS program that somebody
posted to the net a few weeks ago.  If you need a copy, I could send
you one, but I'd rather not send a zillon copies out, since I'm not the
author,  and the management of the system I'm on gets quite upset when
people send out Multi-Megabytes of mail.

   What NEW_WINDOWS is a spawn that creates other windows for you.
If you ever log out of the root window, then ALL of the other windows
go away.  I suppose that you could change the LIB$SPAWN to a SYS$CREPRC
(Create process, if I have the name wrong :-) so that this is no longer a
problem.

  Also, you may need to WRITE to these other two windows escape sequences that
position the windows to a certain place on the screen.  These may be found in
the UIS manual, not the one that has the UIS$* routines in it, but the one
that has the device driver stuff in it.  There are also nifty things like
SHRINK TO ICON, SET TERMINAL BANNER, EXPAND FROM ICON that can be done using
escape sequences.

   I hope that all of this has helped.

--
bitnet:	losh@nmt.csnet			M. Warner Losh