[comp.os.vms] tape handling under VMS

fsimmons@umn-d-ub.D.UMN.EDU (Frank Simmons) (03/09/88)

 I am a novice with BACKUP. Is it possible to get a directory of all the
 savesets on a BACKUP tape?

 Has anyone devoted any thought to a user-friendly procedure for requesting
 tapes to be mounted and extracting data from the tapes and then dismounting
 the tapes? Taking into account security issues etc.

 Frank Simmons
 UMD INformation Services

helen@uhccux.UUCP (Helen Rapozo) (03/10/88)

In article <261@umn-d-ub.D.UMN.EDU> fsimmons@umn-d-ub.D.UMN.EDU (Frank Simmons) writes:

> I am a novice with BACKUP. Is it possible to get a directory of all the
> savesets on a BACKUP tape?

Just do a BACKUP/LIST=file tapedev: until it says Invalid saveset or
something like that.

rbl@nitrex.UUCP ( Dr. Robin Lake ) (03/19/88)

In article <261@umn-d-ub.D.UMN.EDU> fsimmons@umn-d-ub.D.UMN.EDU (Frank Simmons) writes:

> I am a novice with BACKUP. Is it possible to get a directory of all the
> savesets on a BACKUP tape?
>
> Has anyone devoted any thought to a user-friendly procedure for requesting
> tapes to be mounted and extracting data from the tapes and then dismounting
> the tapes? Taking into account security issues etc.

I'm new to VMS tapes, too.  Why does it take so LOOOONNNNGG for the $ prompt
to return after DISMOUNTing a TK-50 tape?  VAXstation-2000, MicroVMS 4.5,
TK-50, single user in UIS.
--
Rob Lake
{decvax,ihnp4!cbosgd}!mandrill!nitrex!rbl

michael@ddsw1.UUCP (Michael Duebner) (03/25/88)

In article <689@nitrex.UUCP> rbl@nitrex.UUCP ( Dr. Robin Lake ) writes:

>I'm new to VMS tapes, too.  Why does it take so LOOOONNNNGG for the $ prompt
>to return after DISMOUNTing a TK-50 tape?  VAXstation-2000, MicroVMS 4.5,
>TK-50, single user in UIS.
>--
>Rob Lake
>{decvax,ihnp4!cbosgd}!mandrill!nitrex!rbl

It takes so long to rewind the tape back into the cartridge.  I bet the
tape is not software unloaded until it is done with the rewind.  You may
notice that it is quicker at times, particularly after having written a
short save_set on a new tape.

Try the DISMOUNT/NOUNLOAD MUA0:

That should simply dismount the drive without rewinding it.  Then hit the
red button the rewind the tape manually.

--

Michael Duebner	                UUCP : ddsw1!michael
Technical Services, Buffalo Grove, IL   312/541-6550

root@helios.toronto.edu (Operator) (03/31/88)

In article <903@ddsw1.UUCP> michael@ddsw1.UUCP (Michael Duebner) writes:

>Try the DISMOUNT/NOUNLOAD MUA0:
>
>That should simply dismount the drive without rewinding it.  Then hit the
>red button the rewind the tape manually.

Dismount/nounload will rewind the tape without *unloading* it, so that you
can then do another operation without having to take it out and put it
in again. A rewind appears to be implicit in the DISMOUNT command.

At least, that's how it has always behaved on our systems, with both
TK50's and 1/2" magtapes. I make use of it frequently for such things
as getting a directory of all savesets on a tape (which requires native
mount) and then restoring something from a particular one (which needs
/foreign mount). We don't have dismount defined in any special way, so
it's the default behaviour in effect.

Dismount/unload is generally faster, since you won't be able to do any
subsequent operations on the tape anyway without manual intervention,
and therefore VMS doesn't force you to wait for the rewind to finish.

--
 Ruth Milner                     UUCP - {uunet,pyramid}!utai!helios!sysruth
 Systems Manager                 BITNET - sysruth@utorphys