[comp.os.vms] VMS mail forwarding with Wollongong TCP/IP

bernhold@qtp.ufl.edu (David E. Bernholdt) (03/23/88)

We have a VAX 780 running VMS and Wollongong TCP/IP 3.1.  I want VMS's
mail program to forward to another node via TCP/IP (it's a SUN and
doesn't speak VMS mail).  I can't seem to convince mail to do this -
if I use `set forward "mailer!user@internet_address"`, the `show
forward` displays the what was in double-quotes above, but mail gets
returned by Wollongong's mailer claiming that the message doesn't have
'MAILER!' or '[From TCP/IP...]' in it.
Is there any way to get this to work?  Please respond with e-mail
since I don't usually read this list.

Thanks much...
--
David Bernholdt			Internet: bernhold@orange.qtp.ufl.edu
Quantum Theory Project		BITnet:   bernhold@ufpine.bitnet

pack@acdpyr.ucar.edu (Dan Packman) (03/24/88)

David Bernhold complained that the VMS set forward of
MAILER!<user@netaddress> did not work for the Wollongong 3.1 release.

Page 79 of their troubleshooting guide indicates that this cannot be
done and that the only way to forward to a non-decnet host is
to use the smtp.conf file.  Since this file is system administered,
the solution is less than perfect.

bcs212@vader.UUCP (Vince Skahan) (03/24/88)

In article <301@orange2.qtp.ufl.edu>, bernhold@qtp.ufl.edu (David E. Bernholdt) writes:

> We have a VAX 780 running VMS and Wollongong TCP/IP 3.1.  I want VMS's
> mail program to forward to another node via TCP/IP
{some more description}
> Is there any way to get this to work?  Please respond with e-mail
> since I don't usually read this list.

there's no way to do it...we've had Win/TCP for 14 months and
I've messed with it and it just doesn't work. (also, the manual
explicitly states that it is not possible).

You CAN, however, set forward from the Sun's to go to the vax by aliasing
on the Sun so at least your mail all goes to one system.

--
     Vince Skahan            Boeing Computer Services - Phila.
    (215) 591-4116           INTERNET:  bcs212%psev@boeing.com

jeff@umbc3.UMD.EDU (Jeffrey Burgan) (03/25/88)

In article <39@ncar.ucar.edu> pack@acdpyr.UCAR.EDU (Dan Packman) writes:
>David Bernhold complained that the VMS set forward of
>MAILER!<user@netaddress> did not work for the Wollongong 3.1 release.
>
>Page 79 of their troubleshooting guide indicates that this cannot be
>done and that the only way to forward to a non-decnet host is
>to use the smtp.conf file.  Since this file is system administered,
>the solution is less than perfect.

Although forwarding is not available today, just wait, its coming.
The next release of WI

d2b@rayssd.ray.com (Donald A. Borsay) (03/31/88)

In a previous article, bcs212@vader.UUCP (Vince Skahan) points out in response
to an inquiry from bernhold@qtp.ufl.edu (David E. Bernholdt) that
mail forwarding cannot be done through Wollongong TCP/IP 3.1 SMTP services.

That's why Wollongong is in the networking business, and PMDF is in the
mail business.  Fortunately, for sites like yours and mine, PMDF is not
BIG business, to either purchase (around $50), or setup.

And who said good things don't come from small packages?

--
Don    |Raytheon Company, Submarine Signal Division, Portsmouth, RI
Borsay |ARPAnet: d2b%rayssd.RAY.COM@a.cs.uiuc.edu