[comp.os.vms] IEEE-488 controller

STEINBERGER@KL.SRI.COM (Richard Steinberger) (03/29/88)

I need to control some instruments using an IEEE-488 (GPIB) controller
that resides inside a uVAX.  I would be interested in hearing from anybody
that has done this using the DEC or a 3rd party product: Any problems,
software issues, etc.  Also, what is a good introductory reference for
IEEE-488 bus control issues (from a SW standpoint)?  Thanks to all
who reply.

Regards,
	Ric Steinberger

-------

m1b@rayssd.ray.com (M. Joseph Barone) (03/31/88)

In article <12386017017.41.STEINBERGER@KL.SRI.COM> STEINBERGER@KL.SRI.COM
(Richard Steinberger) writes:

> I need to control some instruments using an IEEE-488 (GPIB) controller
> that resides inside a uVAX.  I would be interested in hearing from anybody
> that has done this using the DEC or a 3rd party product: Any problems,
> software issues, etc.  Also, what is a good introductory reference for
> IEEE-488 bus control issues (from a SW standpoint)?  Thanks to all
> who reply.

	A few years back, I wrote quite a bit of software in BASIC for the
Tekronix 4052 to control an HP spectrum analyzer, Fluke multimeters, Tekronix
oscilliscopes, beacon simulators, and universal counters, as well as its own
peripherals, such as the tape drive and hard copy unit.  I never had any
problem using any of this equipment because each had very clear manuals with
them.  I never used any one single reference manual.  Basically, the back of
each piece of equipment had 8 (or 6 -- i forget) DIP switches in which you
could give it a unique address.  You would then program the device with:
		100 PRINT @<address>,<secondary address>:"command sequence"
and read the measurement with:
		110 INPUT @<address>:identifier

	I cannot recall the uses for the secondary addresses, but I believe
they were used as functions, such that a multimeter is specified to be used
as a voltmeter.  This is speculation, though, because of the length of time
since I did any of this!

	One other thing that I remember is that the GPIB cables had to be
daisy chained.  I may even be able to dredge up some old programs in BASIC
if you care to see examples (they're on tapes that are over 5 years old!).
Hope this is of some use to you.

Joe Barone ---------------------------> m1b@rayssd.RAY.COM
{cbosgd, gatech, ihnp4, linus, mirror, uiucdcs}!rayssd!m1b

pstevens@pioneer.arpa (Paul Stevens RCE Sterling) (03/31/88)

>> I need to control some instruments using an IEEE-488 (GPIB) controller
>> that resides inside a uVAX.  I would be interested in hearing from anybody
>> that has done this using the DEC or a 3rd party product: Any problems,
>> software issues, etc.  Also, what is a good introductory reference for
>> IEEE-488 bus control issues (from a SW standpoint)?  Thanks to all
>> who reply.
>
>	A few years back, I wrote quite a bit of software in BASIC for the
>Tekronix 4052 to control an HP spectrum analyzer, Fluke multimeters, Tekronix
.
.
.
>		100 PRINT @<address>,<secondary address>:"command sequence"
>and read the measurement with:
>		110 INPUT @<address>:identifier

I am doubtful that the above method uses DEC's IEQ11 and corresponding IEX
driver.  The only support that driver has is through a library of fortran
subroutines called the Simplified User Interface (SUI) and through normal
QIO's.  If there is a third party driver which supports this type of addressing
I would be interested to hear about it.

I have used DEC's driver and for the most part found it acceptable.  There
have, however, been certain devices that it had trouble with.  Specifically
some non-HP equipment that used SRQ's to signal data acquisition and trying
to mix input and output while the data acquistion was happening.  Also, DEC's
interface is at least an order of magnitude harder than the BASIC type of
call described above, but for simple types of control it works fine.

For a book on IEEE-488 try HP's "A Tutorial Description of the HP-IB"

Paul Stevens - NASA Ames Research Center Moffet Field CA
               Mail Stop 233-10
               (415)694-4887
	       pstevens@ames-pioneer.arpa