[comp.os.vms] 'remote' console on VAX 8530?

XBR1Y028@DDATHD21.BITNET (03/28/88)

We are investigating how to centralize the operator consoles of four VAX 8530's
at one location.

Unfortunately all systems are more than 1 (up to 4) kilometers (miles) away
from each other.
On our old 11/780's we used a telephone line to switch with a 'home' built box
on both sides to switch input of the console port OPA0 from the systems site
'real console' to the (remote) centralized site (and vice versa).
All input from the remote site was printed on the systems console LA120.

           [ 11/780 ]<-*-----> LA120
                        \
                         \
                          \*___> remote site ('any terminal device')
 * are the switches
   to change between
   remote and local.

 Has anybody already done something similar on a BI-bus machine?

 At the 780's (LSI11) console output device (the LA120) , you easily had access
 to the RS232 signals.

 On BI-Bus machines the console is a PRO personal computer with video signals
 between the console machine and the screen.

Any help, hints or suggestions are welcome !
Thanks in advance,
Walter

Walter Reichenbaecher, Technical University Darmstadt, West Germany
University Computing Center, Applications / User Support

Bitnet/EARN:  XBR1Y028 at DDATHD21
ARPAnet:      XBR1Y028%DDATHD21.BITNET@CUNYVM.CUNY.EDU

bob@rel.eds.com (Bob Leffler) (04/04/88)

In article <8804031556.AA07113@ucbvax.Berkeley.EDU>, XBR1Y028@DDATHD21.BITNET writes:
> We are investigating how to centralize the operator consoles of four VAX 8530's
> at one location.
>
> Unfortunately all systems are more than 1 (up to 4) kilometers (miles) away
> from each other.
>  On BI-Bus machines the console is a PRO personal computer with video signals
>  between the console machine and the screen.

We have a similar problem at GMC Truck Interantional Test Lab.  We are about
ready to test extending the video, but leaving the PRO beside the 8550.

This is one area in which DEC needs to listen to it's customers.  In a
widely distributed environment, economies of scale dictate that you must
have a central point for operational control.  This means that the system
console must be able to be operated from a remote location.

If anyone has developed any workarounds, I would appreciate hearing about
them.  DEC has been unresponsive to any requests we have made directly.

--
Bob Leffler - EDS, GM Truck & Bus Account (313)456-5375
bob@rel.eds.com or {uunet!edsews, rutgers, umix}!rel!bob